Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

MSF tips

Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF tips

Hey guys - i'm finally taking my MSF course this week. I've been waiting since July.

what exercises does the skills part consist of?

Any pointers on certain exercises in the skills test; things that tripped you guys up? Stupid things you guys forgot to do? etc?

I have very little worries about passing it, but I heard that the smallest things can get you DQ'd from the test. I also heard from a guy that he dropped his bike.. and still passed? I can't remember if it was during the actual test or just the practice session though.

For you guys personally, was it worth the money or did you get nothing out of it? I already registered so you aren't going to sway my opinion on going or not, but I'm curious

Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smallest thing DQ you? Instructor at mine said the only way to fail was to
  1. Stunt
  2. Drop the bike
  3. Run over his foot

That was during the actual test portion. Popping a wheelie (intentionally) would get you kicked... if you somehow got those beaten 250cc up on 1 wheel Most guys will prolly tell you some people during their BRC prolly shouldn't have passed. Unless you get an ex-Army DI, they're usually fairly laid back. More concerned with making sure you won't present a danger to yourself or others thru negligence / stupidity.

Remember the BRC is also geared for people that have never ridden a motorcycle before. They know skill and finesse will come with experience. Their goal is to make sure you survive long enough to ge the experience

Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea to take the MSF. I always recommend it. IMHO its worth the money. It will get you a discount on your insurance as well.

The MSF website http://www.msf-usa.org/ has rider course info on it.

If you're diligent about learning, you'll do fine. Listen to your instructors & learn from their experience.

There's some good info over in the HOW TO: RIDING SKILLS section of the forum too.

If you're going to practice, I recommend doing it in an unused parking lot.
If you're inclined, you can get traffic cones from places like HomeDepot etc. You can set those up & practice w/ them.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Thank you both for your replies!

I will do my best and hopefully have my endorsement by sunday. *knock on wood*

Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 PM

My local instructor was actually pretty strict about following the guidelines on passing or failing people. That said, no one actually failed the course and there were some real morons in our groups.

I almost failed out on the braking portion since I didn't trust the graveled up parking lot we were in to hold traction and went long on the emergency stop portion. Fortunately I remembered to down shift to 1st which gave me the points to pass.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM

I am an MSF instructor in CT, and while I won't tell you what's on the test, I will tell you that if you listen, follow directions and do what the instructors tell you, yhou WILL learn stuff. Even if you know how to ride (make the bike go, shift and stop) use this time to practice.

How many times do you get to use somone elses bike on a closed course and it doesn't matter if you drop it?(during the training. It does matter if you drop it on the test)

Watch the demo ride closely. The instructor will exagerate every little detail they want you to do. Copy them. If you have a question, ASK it, chances are everyone is wondering the same thing as well. Good luck, and have fun with it

Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Tennis ***** cut in half make excellent cheap traffic cones.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Okay..... couple of obvious tips

head up always in turns , look for the exit point, press and roll through the turns
(steady on the throttle accel' through "the" turn/cornering test)... nice and smooth !

Stay in the box for the figure eight test .... no feet down ever.... nice and steady

Don't over shoot the emergency stop ....... you'd be surprised ....how many do.

Rest of it's pretty straight forward

hang back a bit and watch the others ....you'll see

When the instructors get detailed about something ... you need to listen !

Generally speaking you have to demonstrate a good command of and ability
to control the bike ........aka be confident and aware with good cornering shifting and braking

Wish you the best with it.

rem ....Head Up

Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking that course was the best thing ive ever done.

Just listen and everything will be great. Looking throught the turn it what alot of people had problems with in my class so keep that in mine.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM

like everyone else said im very glad i took the course you will be too. its well worth the money. pay attention, follow directions.

little things like not putting your visor down or forgetting to fasten your helmet strap, not wearing the proper riding gear are those little things that will get you. just follow the directions and have a good time. you will learn a lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSF tips