Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

msf and crashing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msf and crashing?

why is it everytime some one goes down on this site and posts it it seems like someone brings up msf courses i mean everyone has the right to say what ever they want but doing what we do every single person here is going to crash one day. It is not a matter of if but when there is allways going to be that one time. I mean the course is good for a person who never rode anything on 2 wheels besides their schwin. It is not going to prevent you from crashing i mean honestly 8 hours on a 250 going around some cones in a parking lot dose not prepair you for the street or canyon or track riding. It dose get you ready to ride and gives you the very very minimal basics. I mean hell i have been on a motorcycle since i was 5 from a 50cc to my 600 now i am 24 now so after 19 years of riding i went down hard i was wearing all my gear so i was realtivly ok. I was wearing my gear cause i know the pavement and asphault if alot stronger than my skin not casue i learned it in my 8 hour class. So the point i am trying to make is that crashing happens it sucks donkey ***** and there is nothing msf is going to teach you to help u with this fact so please be easy on the guys that wipe out with the msf crap

Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Default RE: msf and crashing?

amen to that Woody, i feel ya a 110% there. preach it brotha preach it

Old 07-23-2006, 03:59 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the msf is a good thing. However, they're making a lot of dough off of simple stuff that people can learn themselves for the price of a few books or reading via the internet on their own for free. Then practice on their own also with their own bike. It almost gives a false sense of security. "Well, I took the course, so I know what I'm doing".
I think for the price and seriousness, the course should last 4 weeks, every saturday or something with class learning, parking lot riding, then 2 full days of street riding/group riding with multiple instructors.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 AM

i've had my bike 3 months.......never rode anythin previously in my life except my 'GT' and after a month i started doin wheelies on my f4i.....to tell you the truth its a matter of whether you're a moron or someone wiht a head on their shoulders. The MSF may be helpful but it doesn't not help you if are an irrisponsible person.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 AM

An MSF course is something you don't badmouth.

It's like badmouthing a helmet.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm w/ Black, on this one. I do my best to get around, and I can't tell you how many new riders I talk to, that really think since they "learnd on there own" they know how to ride... when I took the MSF course... It show'd me just how much I didn't know, not giving me instant experience. There are higher level MSF courses also... I agree the scope of the course, should be exstended, as 645 says... I think... ALL, including MSF, a person can learn, IS Best... Kind of the wisdom behind gun safety class.Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 07-23-2006, 09:17 AM

i dont know how your guys msf is but the one offered by me has 3 parts u can take just one but i think people should talk all of them.

here a link describing them all https://www.hvcc.edu/rider/index.html

Old 07-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: specialk

i've had my bike 3 months.......never rode anythin previously in my life except my 'GT' and after a month i started doin wheelies on my f4i.....to tell you the truth its a matter of whether you're a moron or someone wiht a head on their shoulders. The MSF may be helpful but it doesn't not help you if are an irrisponsible person.

Wheelies. The pinnacle of riding expertise. Not really. Take the MSF course and find out how much you don't know about riding.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:52 PM

like i said a msf course is a good thing for beginners meaning 2 years or less riding experence my point is when u crash u crash. The point i was trying to make is that people bringing up msf all the time when some one goes down is retarted. People make mistakes it is part of being human and taking an 8 hour course is not going to make u invinciable to the laws of physics. When your hauling *** and something unexpected happens it happens and gaunteed when some one posts their experince someone brings up well in my msf course they said if u do this it would never happen and it bugs me. If u take that course you are not an expert u do not learn anything special about riding u llearn basic things that is it balance, basics on how to turn, and basics of stopping and shifting thats it. It just gets to me when some one crashes tells their story and some dork that is an msf expert that has been riding for a month or 2 brings that up. I dont know how courses are in other places but the one i took sucked a big one 8 hours total 4 in a class room 1 learning the engangement of the clutch 1 going through cones at 5 miles an hour 1 on how to stop from 15 miles an hour a 1 hour practicing the test on how to do the dmv style test and then the test. There is no way i hell that makes you a far superior rider than when u started. Last time i checked the speed limit every where is at least 30 mph so why do u learn at half that speed.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM

OK Wood i know your making reference to my comment about over riding your headlight at night...learned that in a MSf class...and i also learned another thing..we dont call em accidents we call em crashes..Accidents DO NOT HAPPEN on a motorcycle...or in a car.You dont accidentally do 90mph in a 40 zone in a car..or accidentally crash in a curve....most curves even in the sticks are marked well before u enter even switchbacks.
I crashed in a curve...why...improper speed wrong entry not enuff lean too much brake.Every time u get thru another trip out on a bike and dont crash its because you use what youve learned which is 99% of us. But its the one percenters that crash not have accidents.Crashes are preventable occurances.Im all for alot of speed now and again but i do it where the risk factor is low...like on a country stretch not in freeway traffic.
Im glad that people out there wanna bang up the MSF when the guys that put on that class are bikers just like you and i who are WILLING to give up their summers to teach WILLING individuals the BASICS of operating a motorcycle.They also tell you that u can be seriuosly injured if you ride outside of your abilities.

There is probably alot of double speak in there but i know the message was directed at me for the overriding the headlight comment.
Im guessing you never took a course so you really wouldnt remember anything that was taught there.The Illnois class is 30 hrs long and i took it after 7 years out on the road and learned that my CRASH was preventable and it wasnt an accident.There is nothing accidental about goin into a bean field at 80...not one thing...

Quick Reply: msf and crashing?