Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Safe Areas

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Safe Areas

This could be a stupid question but I go on long motorcycle rides and this year i am maybe looking to go down the eastern coast from NY to where ever (havent really decided yet) but i am looking to find areas where if i ride, maybe stay over night then it wont be messed with...

I live in the hudson valley and a lot of the area i live, i can leave my bike out over night, even on the main street and not be messed with... but for example NYC, i cant really do that so. So with planning this trip, i want to find areas i can go that nice place to visit and not really have to worry about someone stealing my bike...

I know there are thieves everywhere but some places are nicer than others

Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find motels rooms that are on the ground floor so you can just roll your bike into your room. I'm hoping to do the same for a trip around Lake Ontario this summer.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully, no oil leaks there, raylee. lol

+1 on the ground floor. I usually just chain it to a post, either outside the door (first choice)
or to a light-post in the parking lot (preferably, visible to the night-manager's desk).
It doesn't hurt to mention it to staff (with a tip), as well.

Ern

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Hopefully, no oil leaks there, raylee. lol
Oil leaks shmoil leaks. Have it sleep right next to your bed at night.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have ridden from up state NY to Daytona, FL twice. The first time I was riding solo. I could have been in big trouble in Atlanta on my return trip, but got that straighten out by some friendly bikers who got me out of there real quick. Also on that return, I almost got jumped in Atlantic City, NY. I was sitting at a light and took my hands off the bars and in the mirrors noticed three guys crouched down sneaking up on me so I dumped the clutch and ran the light.

Stay out of big towns.

How do they steel a HD in NYC? They pull up to the light next to you, open the door and knock you down. While you are on the ground, one guy holds a gun to your head and says,"Don't move!", while the other guys toss the bike in the trunk and drive off. That really happened.

Big towns are risky. In small towns people are friendly and willing to help you.

Paint your bike pink, no one will want it.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Paint your bike pink, no one will want it.
ahahahhahahah just make it a custom barbie bike why don't ya?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

duct tape works too!

as far as your bike being stolen - it's kind of like the old adage "i don't have to outrun the bear, i just have to out run you"

make a thief think that your bike is too much trouble and he'll go for an easier target. if your bike is right by a room, chained up, disk locked, etc. - they'll go looking for another bike.

a cheap bike cover works too. a friend of mine had a busa, and he put this little LED bar that would light up while the bike was parked and look like an alarm system on his bike.

but i'd go with what raylee said, put it in your room on the first floor in an old motel kind of setting. i've done that, and i sleep at night

Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

If you don't have a motion alarm on it I'd add one. It won't keep anyone from taking it but it'll sure make a heck of a racket when they try and it will wake you (and anyone else in the area) up.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM

its a shame that we live in a world where this is a problem!!