Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Moto-muse

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moto-muse

I really should be above getting so much satisfaction from what, in essence, is just another widget. I like to think I'm above typical consumer lust. Retail therapy doesn't work on me. Things don't rule me...for the most part anyway. All this semi-enlightenment goes flying by my helmet when I ride a motorcycle. Boy do I love that thing.

But a bike is soo much more than merely an object. Like the horse, the motorcycle has been a symbol of, snicker, power between the legs (an english prof told me that once.) To me however, it's not a ***** extension, it's a machine that can take away any thoughts that have nothing to do with the moment. Problems, plans, the future, and the past all melt away when you ride. You HAVE to be in the moment when you ride, if not, you'll be on the pavement.

Everyone who rides, whether conscious of this or not, understands this...it's what sets the motorcycle apart from mere transportation. Look around at the four-wheelers and you'll notice they aren't too conscious of driving. Most are doing other things while driving, proving that it doesn't take a great deal of concentration to keep four wheels in a lane. Most drivers are oblivious to the world around them, not riders though.

A rider has to be aware of his world, aware of the such seemingly trivial things (to drivers) as the texture of the road. We see, from necessity, more. By extension, we feel more when we travel. If life is a journey, we are getting more out of it simply because we notice the ride. A rider is more than a passenger to his/her own life.

On the other hand, some people with bikes are just consumers. The bike is bling, just another object they feel like a conquerer for owning. These folks will never understand the dangerous beauty of riding/living...they're just unaware consumptionbots for the man.

Any fool can buy one. It takes a little more to really ride one.

Damn rain. Hope this random splattering of words doesn't bore anyone. I just don't have an outlet for the bike-jones right now.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moto-muse

very well said... [sm=smiley32.gif]

my fiance and other family members always ask me what it is that's so appealing about riding, and i can never explain it in a way that makes sense to them. maybe i'll pass this along and see if it gets through to them.