Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

the main reason gas is so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 08:16 AM
Default RE: the main reason gas is so expensive

^^ HAHA! Yep!

There is no reason for high fuel prices! Give me one good reason! (supply and demand is not a good reason) Im a man. I know when Im wrong.

Old 02-10-2008 | 08:59 AM
Banned

They controll the volume and demand.
Exxon controls demand? Oh yeah, they strap you to the steering wheel on an SUV and make you drive around the block for no reason. They tell you not to get a fuel efficient vehicle for everyday commuting. They beat you into submission if you combine errands. They tell everyone that we need 400 hp 4200lb trucks to run the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds. I must have missed that memo.

Exxon controls supply? Oh yeah, they own Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Kuwait. They purposely murdered too fewdinosaurs a million years ago so we would have afinite supply of oil. The cavemen that started Exxon said ' hey Grog, don't put all those dead t-rexs in the ground, we don't want to have too much oil for the future. That would be bad for business. Let's plan on having just enough to run out at about the year 2050.'

Wow. This isamazing, we think it is OK to pay $5.00 for a pack of cigarettes or $2.50 for a red bull, but not $3.00 for something that is useful, in high demand,short supply and has very few viable substitutes at the moment.

Old 02-10-2008 | 11:29 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

They controll the volume and demand.
Exxon controls demand? Oh yeah, they strap you to the steering wheel on an SUV and make you drive around the block for no reason. They tell you not to get a fuel efficient vehicle for everyday commuting. They beat you into submission if you combine errands. They tell everyone that we need 400 hp 4200lb trucks to run the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds. I must have missed that memo.

Exxon controls supply? Oh yeah, they own Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Kuwait. They purposely murdered too fewdinosaurs a million years ago so we would have afinite supply of oil. The cavemen that started Exxon said ' hey Grog, don't put all those dead t-rexs in the ground, we don't want to have too much oil for the future. That would be bad for business. Let's plan on having just enough to run out at about the year 2050.'

Wow. This isamazing, we think it is OK to pay $5.00 for a pack of cigarettes or $2.50 for a red bull, but not $3.00 for something that is useful, in high demand,short supply and has very few viable substitutes at the moment.
Uh yeah!! (Not just Exxon, all of em)They buy the crude from the above named. they control supply by shutting down refineries and slowing production.

your last paragraph even proves my point "high demand, short supply"

How do you think demand is met? IF the US needs (just using round numbers) 100 million gallons a day Are they going to produce 120 million gallons? No that would create a surplus and drop prices, can they produce that much? yes!

Your looking at it as one person and it has no factor if that one person drives a car that gets 45mpg or 7mpg its an even wash with gas hogs to fuel management.

and ya I would be pissed if I paid $5.00 for a pack of cigerettes and it only lasted me for a 10 mile trip? I don't understand the reasoning behind the comparision. your talking about apples and oranges there. Tabacco,food and fuel are in there own catagories.

Also your so funny with the dinosaur thing. I have no answer for that.

Old 02-10-2008 | 11:53 AM
Banned

Also your so funny with the dinosaur thing. I have no answer for that.
Thanks. My point really was an oil company doesn't control demand, that is the consumer.

As far as supply, they don't really own nor control the supply. Yes, refineries owned by Exxon and other companies can produce more or less gasoline within reason and that will impact the price of gasoline, they don't control the amount of crude oil which is the main component of the cost of gasoline. That supplyis for the most partset by a cartel, a cartel made up of mostly Arab leaders.

I guess what really bothers me is the people that usually bitch about the price of gasoline tend to drive a gas hog for everyday usage. Some people can't help it, but when 40% of the vehicle in a supermarketparking lot are 16mpg behemoths that are used as personal transportation (not work trucks) and never carry more than a few cases of Aquafina and two peopleit irks me.

When I see our Military fighting and dyingfor oil, when we at home don't try to minimize its use, it seems very disrepectful to those in Military service.

Am I the only one that is bothered that we are giving so much money to the Arab countries for oil, and they in turn finance terrorism and a war against our Boys? It seems like a no brainer. When we all know it takes money to fight a war, and we know by buying gasoline some portion of that money finds its way into the hands of the enemy, we still try to use as much oil as possible.

I guess what seems like simple logic to some is hard to grasp by others.