Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

the main reason gas is so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the main reason gas is so expensive

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

There is nothing more selfish, stupid and un-american as driving a gas hog on a daily basis. Too many young Americans die and get maimed due to our actions.

I'd like to see gas at $10/gallon, this way it'll only be me, my fellow bikers, and a fewPriuson the road. Maybe nobody would then care about Iraq.
I disagree on one point only; it's very American to drive gas hogs. I do agree that if you don't need an SUV or big truck it's selfish to run one. Having spent half my life in Europe it makes me laugh to hear all of the whining about "high" gas prices! You don't have a clue what high gas prices are. But, having driven small economy cars for 25 years over there I now drive American!!! Wife has a Ford Escape, I have a '94 Z28 (22mpg) and an '86 F150 4x4. We live in the mountains so actually need a 4x4 each in bad weather. Most of the time the truck just sits there. Good weather = bike, bad weather = Z28, really bad weather (snow, ice etc.) it's the truck.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Kikepiz

Also... could somebody explain to me the "offer and demand" that's like in buisnnes studies or something like it.

I thougth that in more demand prices are supposed to go down? correct me if im wrong...[8D]
The law of supply is the higher(lower) the price of the good, the greater(smaller) the quantity supplied.

but you have factors such as.....

Demand Determinants: Production Price, Preference, Income, Number of Buyers, Price of related products, and Expectations about the future.

With that being said .. you then have the law of demand:the quantity of a good or service demanded varies inversely with its price.

Supply Determinants: Product price, cost of production, technological innovation, number of firms of industry, price of related outputs, and expectations about the future.

brief and I think you were joking ..but i'm bored and have ALOT of time of my hands....lol

And this thread i see going down to the Rich are getting richer and the poor are getting more poor. And the rich are going to continue to do what they want regardless of gas prices.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM

True, but oil companies are makeing alot more money now, then before...

Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 PM

the reason gas is expensive is because we all need it..

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

$90/bbl for crude. 45 gallon barrel. That means $2/gallon of crude.

Of that gallon, only 23% of it is usable for high profit gasoline, the rest is for other stuff.

Gasolinesells for$2.35/gallon before taxes.

So for $0.35/gallon Exxon transports it thousands of miles, cracks it, distributes it hundreds of miles,puts detergents and other additives in it, pays employees, and somehow still makes a profit.My numbers may be a little off, but they should be close.

I do not think the oil companies are screwing us at all, they are allowed to make profit, also due to inflation, they SHOULD make higher profits every year.

I look at it this way, I give Exxon $3.00 and my bike takes me almost 50 miles, that is f**king cheap! Next time try walkingto the next stateand saving the $3.00.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
RCR

^^^^ Only $.35 a gallon X how many million/billion gallons a day are produced?

Their profit margin is set on volume. They controll the volume and demand.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Munson

If people want to spend their own money driving those things, I guess that's their business. It just pisses me off that we taxpayers have to subsidize the cost of gas to keep it nice and cheap. Things like give-away mineral leases on public land, and military adventures in the middle east, just to keep the cheap oil flowing, and ExxonMobil's profitshigh.

Other thing is, I think that if you want to drive a big-*** SUV or pickup, you should have to get a commercial trucker's license. Those things don't handle or brake like a passenger car, and they should only be operated by people who know how to do it.

We have to pass a different test to get a motorcycle license, and so should they.
Damn strait! Or they should make a new standard for parking spaces. Nobody can fit there big *** rigs in them. It kills me that you can go to uhaul and rent a 30 ft. truck and drive it down the street with a regular license. I think the driving license test should be harder anyways. I was told it was harder to get a license in england. Not sure if that is true though

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: transambird_2000

ORIGINAL: Munson

If people want to spend their own money driving those things, I guess that's their business. It just pisses me off that we taxpayers have to subsidize the cost of gas to keep it nice and cheap. Things like give-away mineral leases on public land, and military adventures in the middle east, just to keep the cheap oil flowing, and ExxonMobil's profitshigh.

Other thing is, I think that if you want to drive a big-*** SUV or pickup, you should have to get a commercial trucker's license. Those things don't handle or brake like a passenger car, and they should only be operated by people who know how to do it.

We have to pass a different test to get a motorcycle license, and so should they.
Damn strait! Or they should make a new standard for parking spaces. Nobody can fit there big *** rigs in them. It kills me that you can go to uhaul and rent a 30 ft. truck and drive it down the street with a regular license. I think the driving license test should be harder anyways. I was told it was harder to get a license in england. Not sure if that is true though

In england on moto license you work in steps.

Australia is the hardest place to get your license.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I've read it was Germany. (extremely difficult tests, and extremely expensive.)

Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ I've read it was Germany. (extremely difficult tests, and extremely expensive.)

I heard it's hardest for blind people. O wait. THEY'RE ALL OVER THE ****IN ROAD!!!!!!

Quick Reply: the main reason gas is so expensive