Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Low-side - Bike rebuild suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-side - Bike rebuild suggestion

Was taking a corner at a blistering 15 miles an hour this morning, met a slippery crosswalk, and the crosswalk won. Low sided at said speed on the right, and now have a fun few hundred (to 1000+)dollars to spend in replacing plastics. The only damage to me is some missing skin (from my jacket) on the right arm, and a sprained left thumb, which I have no idea how I sustained. I was wearing full gear when this happened, otherwise i'd have bad road rash.

I'll end up posting pictures..

However, in true street fighter tradition, I don't want to pay for plastics, and was wondering if anyone else had endeavored to do this? If so, I am happily searching for suggestions.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 AM

im not sure of the type of suggestion youre looking for...has anyone fightered their f4i? lots of people have my bikes naked right now while im repainting and repairing the plastics and everything else. checkout the stuntlife.com forum that might be of more help in that case. If youre asking about repairing plastics instead of getting new ones theres tons of threads about that too if you do a quick search. How bads the damage?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM

just shredd without all the fairings and be a man like me....lol

\/........see

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Hah, i'm thinking about it.

@nick: The right cowling under the gas tank has a TON of cosmetic damage, same with the forward and lower cowlings, but to a lesser extent. What hurts me the most (emotionally) is the damage to the engine case.. Gonna need to sand it down and buff it out. Also, the rear brake pedal is bent backwards on itself in a loop, it took the brunt of the crash. It rode home fine after the crash, but it looks like the rear brake caliper is in contact with the pad, which is odd because it didn't feel like it when I rode it.

Also, I ordered frame sliders Tuesday.. I low-sided Wednesday. :'(

Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM

haha well thats just a bit of bad luck isnt it, only if you got them sooner. If theyre not cracked or busted up just sand them down and prime and paint them or get them professionally painted if itll be cheaper than buying new fairings. I saw a couple threads in the how to section recently about repairing cracked fairings too if they are and you wanna go that route like i said before. Just ride her nekked like me and crashking in the mean time. I was patient and got a set of oem fairings on ebay for $180 now i just need to paint them and shell be brand new. (I bought the bike for REAL cheap because the previous owners friend laid it down and couldnt pay for the repairs). Ebay or craigslist is probably your best friend right now just shop around and be patient till you find a good deal.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:42 PM

They're moderately ground up on the right, but my biggest concern is the large screw mount on the right-mid cowling. The force of the impact twisted it, and caused it to bend at an angle and crack the mounting on the cowling. I'll see if that can be repaired though. Where do you recommend I look for someone to do the sand/repair/painting?

Also, the right crank case cover got gouged. I was wondering if anyone had experience grinding/sanding/finishing one? A new CC cover is 150 dollars at the cheapest i've found.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 PM

if you want to get it done by someone go around to a few local body shops and get some estimates or ask around and see if someone recommends one over another. I dont know where youre from but I have a bunch of marinas and boat storage/repair places around me that all do real good fiberglass work too for cheap. So if thats an option for you look into that as well

Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM

I live in Corvallis, OR. Little college town of about 50,000. There's a Honda dealership in town, but they charge $75/hour for work, and i'm not sure I want to pay that much, but then again I haven't price checked other body shops and such. I'm also considering doing the plastics work myself, my friends uncle has been fixing cars for as long as i've been alive, and he offered to help. It would definitely save me a ton of money.

Thanks for all the help and suggestion, nick. +1