General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Rebuild

So I have a 2001 F4i

I dropped her about a month ago and now im slowly rebuilding her. Already have a new footpeg on. New Exhaust is in the mail. Also I just got the new Altenator Cover. Just wondering if anyone has replaced one in awhile??? I just tried to take it off to see how much of a pain its going to be and it looks alot more complicated than I thought. First you have to get the thing off, then after you get past the stator the dowl pin and reduction gear fall right into my hand. Ummm that cant be good. So I spent another 15 min trying to get the reduction gear to sit back in its place with the dowl pin. Then I threw the old damaged stator cover back on in fear of screwing anything up and making it a bigger job than it needs to be.

My question is...how careful do I need to be with all that uncovered goodness down there? Do I need to worry about any FOD getting in there? Do I need to worry about handeling that reduction gear??? How hard is it to get the stator out of the old cover? Im just worried I might have bitten off a little more than I can chew.

Thanks for all the help with this!!!

Drew

Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 AM
Default RE: Bike Rebuild

uh what are u talking about gearing?
all is inside is the alternator and a cable
which needs to be attached inside the new cover

Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 AM

I know that gear is a pain, if you wiggle it around a bit it will get back to where it is supposed to be. take your time. When I had mine all apart I just made sure not to get anything dirty(lay down a clean towel next to you) and switched the cover quickly, I also made sure that everything that was previously covered in oil when it came out was covered again(gear and pins) and just tried to get it lined up as best I could and let the magnet pull the cover back on. I put a little bit of DC4 on the gasket to hold it to the engine seemed to be a little easier that way. Dont over torque your bolts and add the oil back that came out and you should be good. Oh yeah, good luck.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: shraz

uh what are u talking about gearing?
all is inside is the alternator and a cable
which needs to be attached inside the new cover
nope on the upper right when the cover is off is the reduction gear that is held on by a dowl pin which is held on by the stator cover. After the cover comes off the dowl followed the cover off which left the gear free to fall out.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: scotty8583

I know that gear is a pain, if you wiggle it around a bit it will get back to where it is supposed to be. take your time. When I had mine all apart I just made sure not to get anything dirty(lay down a clean towel next to you) and switched the cover quickly, I also made sure that everything that was previously covered in oil when it came out was covered again(gear and pins) and just tried to get it lined up as best I could and let the magnet pull the cover back on. I put a little bit of DC4 on the gasket to hold it to the engine seemed to be a little easier that way. Dont over torque your bolts and add the oil back that came out and you should be good. Oh yeah, good luck.
hey thanks for the help. I will make sure I do it quickly and hopefully that damn gear will stay in next time I take it off. Thanks again.