Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

which line do you follow

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which line do you follow

well i got alot of great response/replies/tips from the highbeams thread so i thought i'd ask this question. not only to get advice for myself but others reading it.........

in the MSF class they teach you that there are 3 lines to choose from in a lane. what line do you choose to ride in? lets say the road is a TWO lane road (two lanes going the same direction). i tend to stay away from the center line b/c of the oil/transmission fluid, and the air conditioner condensation (mainly at stop signs and lights).

i usually tend to stay up against the dotted white line that divides the two lanes (when im in the slow lane OR fast lane). i feel this way im visible in the peoples mirrors in front of me aswell as in the nearby lane. i like to be able to see part of the persons face in their mirror to be ASSURED they can see me (if they even look in their mirror). only time i really ride against the solid yellow is if im riding w/ people and thats where im staggered at. i feel over there if im boxed in w/ a car infront and behind.......and another vehical comes up the lane they'll see the distance between those two cars and assume its an empty slot.

so what line do you choose to ride in on a two lane road?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: which line do you follow

I stay on the right or left of the lane, depending on how traffic is. If someone is trying to pass me on the left, I'll get on the right side of the lane and vise versa. Sometimes, if I notice someone behind me and getting closer, I'll dance in the lane a bit (smoothly change from right to left and back in my lane)......to make sure they know I'm there.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 AM

You guys ride on the wrong side of the road over there any way, thats scary enough. But in this state we have a law that anything over 80kph you have to stay in the left lane (which would be your right lane) unless overtaking. As for which part of the lane, on really good roads I usually keep to the far side away from the on coming traffic. On crap roads I stick to either left or right of the lane, cos they have less bumps in em than the centre (from use by trucks & cars) but its a mixed blessing , as either side will have the usual pot hole (again from car & trucks) so its a choice of either bump, bump, bump, or BUMP.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually drive in the left portion of whatever lane im in except some turns or if im passing a big 18wheeler. I usually feel safer when im near the middle of the actual pavement because i can see more and feel like i have more road to work with in an emergency.

If someone's cramping me i do the lane dance like im warming up my tire, taking up my whole lane. I've only been tailgated hard once by a big pickup truck and after getting tired of being scared of him behind me i just took off.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride in the inside of the outside lane. Seems safest to me as far as outs go.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM

on the curb FTW!