Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Life flashed before my eyes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life flashed before my eyes

Last saturday I went for a strap around some long straight back roads near home. I realise it was cane crushing season so I only went nuts when there was plenty of room and time to see tractors that could pull out from the padocks on each side... mostly.

Well there was this side road and I took it to see where it went, sitting between 60 and 80k. It only went for about 500m and I crossed a tram line about 100m from the end, not thinking twice about it. When I pulled up and turned around, I saw a fully laden tram pop out from behind the cane. The cane was about 3m from the edge of the road and was taller than the tram so there was no way to tell it was coming.

I got back to the tram while it was still crossing the road and realised that if it had popped out while I was just getting to the crossing, it would have been across the road before I got to it and I would have gone splat into the side and it probably wouldn't have even noticed... while I was waiting, I notice the tram crossing sign had a stop sign on it rather than the normal give way - "they" knew it was dangerous and did all they could since it was not worth putting up triggered flashing lights... and I obviously wasn't paying as much attention as I thought I did while riding.

My helmet and leather jacket in the sun was hot[:@], but I still got chills[&:]...

The range of emotions to be felt while riding is huge [:'(] gotta love it![8D]

Old 08-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Life flashed before my eyes

Scary dude, but things work out like that, big adenaline hit???
Got a mental picture of the train driver, "wots this big stain on the side?" lol
They grow some monster mozzies in that area as welll.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 AM
oNi

Damn man, same thing happend to me the other day except besides my life flashing before my eyes, my future did.

I was riding on the interstate the other night and got to the interchange where it turns from I264 to I64 and not paying attention to what was on the road and it being night I didn't notice the damn speed bump they hot damn got built into the road I was on so I went over the bump sitting on the bike like normal instead of raising my **** slightly to avoid the recoil and it caught me off guard and I was going pretty fast into the turn part of the on-ramp interchange with a car behind me and a car to the left of me and right after the bump it goes from being a straight away to a curve and I wasn't leaning entering the curve because I just straightened up after the bump and I start to lean in the curve but not enough and notice I'm starting to drift into the left lane of the on ramp where theres a van right next to me and hot damn .......... my future being one in the hospital, not riding, no bike, just totally messed up flashed before me and I just started braking even though there was a car on my tail and luckily braked enough to get back on track in my lane while leaving space with the car that was behind me, and hot damn what adrenaline and wake-up call it was to me.

I can say I never had that experience before and it was almost like I was about to have my life flash before me and I feel like if I had drifted enough into that left lane and got into a crash my life would have flashed before me while it happened but since I was in the process of possibly getting into the crash it was like my mind flashed what would happened if I didn't correct my errors so I was pretty damn lucky, weird feeling, but teaches you a lot.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was on a backroad last week in benson NC 55 i was strollin too it was flat and open, i did a quick head check instead of turning my shoulders like normal, which takes about a half second more than just turnin my head real quick, when i turned back a car was turing left in front of me, that half second saved at least my ability to walk, i wanted to stop and beat some *** but it was a chick.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM

They always tell you to NEVER NEVER NEVER let off the gas or brake in a curve in the MSF class. I don't know why they tell you that I've done it several times when I'm taking a corner too hot and realize it's getting tighter and tighter and you seemed to do it fine too. I don't understand their reasoning.

Mike

Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM

I noticed that and have done the same thing without ill consequence....i think its to avoid losing traction and highsiding