Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

licence question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default licence question

I notice alot of you are from various areas of the world.
Just a question about how easy it is to get a motorcycle licence where you are.

Over here, in the UK, its a pain!
When you turn sizteen you can do a CBT course, lets you ride up to a 125cc on Learner plates for two years.
When going to ride above the 125cc mark that requires three tests.
1. a theory and hazzard perception test, doesn't matter if you've done it for a car, you have to do it again for the bike.
2. An off the road test, weaving in and out of cones, emergency stops, u-turns and the dreaded swerve test, which isnt all its cracked up to be.
3. The last test is just a road riding test.
If you pass these 3 tests but are under 21 your bike must be restriced to 33hp, also if your under 21 when learning for the three tests you have to ride a 125cc or less, so you have no real experience of a big bike.
As i am over 21 that doesn't really affect me because i have experience (not a lot) on a 500, I have a friend thats just passed his test, hes under 21 and talks about getting a big bike and going fast but hes only ever ridden a 125.

whats it like where you are?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Written test + riding test = good to go.

If in military, you're required to have taken the MSF or equivalent.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from the NSW government website:

"On 11 March 2009, Premier Nathan Rees announced the introduction of a new licensing scheme for motorcycle riders to help reduce the number of beginner riders involved in crashes.
Mr Rees said that young and inexperienced riders are significantly over-represented in crashes.
“Motorcyclists aged under 20 are almost five times more likely to crash than other motorbike riders,” Mr Rees said.
“Last year, around 350 beginner riders were involved in crashes across the State.
“That’s why we are introducing this scheme which will be similar to a motor vehicle licence extending the minimum provisional period for motorcycle riders from one to three years.”
Mr Rees said that the changes will be introduced in June and mean that riders will stay on a provisional licence for a minimum of three years with the same P1 and P2 phases as car drivers.
“Provisional rider restrictions will now be in place for a longer period giving riders time to gain confidence and experience on the road.
“The restrictions for P1 drivers are a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum speed restriction of 90km/h and a loss of licence for incurring four or more demerit points.
“For P2 drivers it also means a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum 100km/h speed limit and a licence suspension for their second speeding offence.
“This is about saving lives and reducing the number of people injured on our roads by ensuring riders gain more experience.”
Roads Minister Michael Daley said that currently riders must hold a learner licence for a minimum of three months before attending a pre-provisional course.
“They must then be on a P1 provisional licence for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full licence,” Mr Daley said.
“The minimum three year period on a provisional licence will raise the age for getting an unrestricted rider licence from 18 to 20.
“The provisional P1 phase will be a requirement of all riders, regardless of age but there will be an exemption from the P2 phase for riders over 25 who also hold an unrestricted car driver licence.
“This exemption recognises car driving experience and brings NSW in line with other States.”

Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme

Before obtaining a motorcycle rider licence, you must successfully complete the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme. This scheme is designed to help people gain basic riding skills before riding on the road.
There are two levels of training - pre-learner and pre-provisional. Both levels involve on-road and off-road training."
You are also restricted to a certain capacity of bike:Have an engine capacity not greater than 660ml, and Have a power to weight ratio not greater than
150 kilowatts per tonne.
You must not carry any pillion passengers & have a Zero level of alcohol.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my MC licence 18 yrs ago I litterally had to ride less than a block to the stop sign, turn into a parking lot, & come back without hitting anything or falling over. There was a written test as well but it was easy. I remember being all excited about going & studting the few days before I went. Took the test & if I remember correctly I only missed 1 question. After that the state of Tn. said that I could ride whatever I wanted with no restrictions whatsoever.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pennsylvania is written + off road riding test (I think).

I say "I think" because you can take the MSF BRC or ERC. If you pass that, you get your license. Written & parking lot tests. Cornering, e-stop (stop the bike after crossing a line and before running down the instructor) and perform a figure 8 in a tiny box. But for the most part the only way to fail the riding test during the BRC is to (and I quote the instructor):
  • Kill me
  • Kill yourself
  • Drop the bike

3 people failed during my BRC for dropping the bike. My figure 8 turned out to be more like a "&" symbol and I passed. Most everyone travelled out the lines during some portion.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM

every where should be like it is in your country. It would keep alot more dumbasses off bikes. Sides the tier method helps (still not full proof) ensure you learn to ride properly instead of oh look I got the lastest, greatest, fastest bike, watch me kill myself....

Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
every where should be like it is in your country. It would keep alot more dumbasses off bikes. Sides the tier method helps (still not full proof) ensure you learn to ride properly instead of oh look I got the lastest, greatest, fastest bike, watch me kill myself....
But where would YouTube be without McSquidin???

Tiered method in the US would be met with people dumping motorcycle oil into the harbors everywhere. Good or not, people would riot simply for the sake of having something to revolt against. There are still a-holes out there that purposely don't wear seatbelts just so they can "stick it to the man"

Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
But where would YouTube be without McSquidin???

Tiered method in the US would be met with people dumping motorcycle oil into the harbors everywhere. Good or not, people would riot simply for the sake of having something to revolt against. There are still a-holes out there that purposely don't wear seatbelts just so they can "stick it to the man"
I hate seatbelts lol

Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I for more government regulation than what already exists for motorcycle licensing??? NO - w/ one exception...the MSF. I'd have no problem w/ there being a requirement for the MSF course (or equivalent). Several states are working toward this right now. The military already requires it of service members. I believe its a good idea. Plus, it gets you a discount your insurance.

The MSF wasn't offered when I first got my license. However, I have taken it & really appreciated the lessons that they teach. There is lots of practical everday application of the MSF principles. The MSF courses can be of benefit to any rider of any skill level. There is always something to be said of having a firm foundation in the basics of riding & rider safety.

If young adults can get a driver's license for automobile, then they should be able to get a motorcycle license as well. I've known many riders that were extremely young but were responsible...ie, not squids. Just b/c a rider is young, doesn't mean they'll automatically be squidly. However, the MSF can reinforce safety & sound principles to a young or new rider. Ultimately, responsibility comes down to the individual.