Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Let's talk bike alarm systems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk bike alarm systems.

I'm buying a bike this summer (or at least that's the goal). I live in a condo, no garage, so the bike will be outside in a parking lot. Apparently we've had some car break-ins in the past week, which my dad just informed me of (I'm at school not at home right now). Otherwise it's a pretty quiet suburban area, it's not a high crime kind of area at all. And of course, if I ever found anyone trying to mess with my bike they're gonna end up in the hospital at best.

But now I'm thinking I might need an alarm for the bike. I already plan on covering it and putting wheel locks on it. Which prevents anyone from riding it away, but doesn't stop them from shoving it in the back of a truck and driving away and it doesn't prevent vandalism or knocking it over or something. So tell me about bike alarms. What's good, what's not good, how much do they cost, can I install them myself or do I need someone to do it (I'm not very mechanically abled, especially when it comes to electrical), who installs them, etc etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Let's talk bike alarm systems.

I can't give you a huge run-down... but anything with a pager would be a big plus (given that you are within' range of the pager), since it tells you when someone is messing with your bike and you can go out and check out what's going on.

Your other option is also Low-jack... a better chance it will come back if it is stolen.

Other than telling you to do a search for alarms (there was a recent thread all about this in the off topic area, might scan down a few pages) that's the info I can give ya.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM

The other issue is I don't want it to be TOO sensitive; I don't want to keep running out there because a bird landed on it or something.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have (And purchased one for my g/f's F4i aswell) a Gorilla alarm. here's the way i see it.

if someone wants to steal your bike.......they're going to! my alarm was only $95 shipped, not much at all. i dont see the point in spending $400+ on an alarm w/ perimeter sensors, tazers, and a emergency "call SWAT" button. my alarm does what i need it to, gives me piece of mind, and was inexpensive. if someone touches it......it goes off and makes a **** LOAD of noise. thats aaaaaaaaaaaaall i need .

oh, in case you're interested.....

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/motorcycle.alarms

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Altephor

The other issue is I don't want it to be TOO sensitive; I don't want to keep running out there because a bird landed on it or something.
I think most of your "good" alarms have adjustable sensitivity.

I did the search for you... I'm bored I guess. Time for some "light reading". Good luck to you sir!

General Protection...
https://cbrforum.com/m_117752/tm.htm

Anti Theft Device thread...
https://cbrforum.com/m_115930/tm.htm

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Altephor

mine has two settings. "on" and "shock sensor". when its "on" it takes a shimmy of the bars or tail, or lifting it off its kickstand to make it go off, now......when its on "shock sensor" if the WIND hits it too hard.......it goes off, lol.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM

I was looking the other day for a good spot to chain it to, but unfortunately there's no big trees or anything near the parking lot. I suppose I could always chain it to my car frame at night.

That Xena disc lock/alarm looks interesting, but how does one turn it off? Does it come with a remote or something?

I should also mention that in the fall I will be relocating to a place that does have a higher crime rate than where I live now.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM

I have one of those more expensive alarms on my car with the on and shock sensor modes.. The shock sensor is pretty sensitive and can go off fairly easily.. This led to my car dying yesterday becuase ive been riding my bike more often and my car only about once a week.. I have thought about getting an alarm too but does anyone know how well the bike's battery would hold up for an alarm if you dont ride too often?