Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Leading The Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leading The Way

I don't like to lead. I am a sheep.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Retired Moderator

I most recently was "The Road Captain" on a ride and I didn't like it. It was my first time, though, and so I was looking in my mirrors half the time to make sure the group was still intact. I had to lead because I was the only one that knew where we were going. I am usually somewhere in the middle. Good group of guys, very vocal at stops, and we have hand signals to help us during the ride. I prefer somewhere in the middle to be sure.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Friend and Hero ...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that agrees leading the way is not always the best position to be in. On the subject of the route. I usually run off a copy of the route and treated like a reconnaissance map marking reference points and give it to each person within the group regardless of skill level. And if it is a route that we have rode several times. I will mark our stop points for fuel and where we usually stop to eat for instance. When we ride Blood mtn (The Loop.) We usually stop in Dahlonega at the McDonald's on 400 for breakfast and usually give them my cell phone number. Just in case they get really separate if the Tail Ender is doing his job that shouldn't happen, but you have to look at the worst-case scenario. And while most recommend putting the most inexperienced riders right behind the leader. I have found that by putting them their. They feel like they're being pushed and have a tendency to ride harder than they would normally and possibly beyond their skill level. So I agree with whoever said, putting them atthe back of the group right in front of the Tail Ender if he is a good experience rider can evaluate their line approach for curves and technique. So when we make our first stop, he can discuss with them. If they maybe need to work a little more on their approach angle, speed or overall technique.I think those with squid behavior are the ones that need to be placed right behind the Road Captain they normally don't like to ride behind anybody anyway, and it helps to better keep them in line. If they're not much further away than arm's-length if you catch my drift. Here are some hand signals that we use. [/align][/align][/align]Use this hand signal to help the next rider pass by indicating he has the clear of way (in other words no on-coming traffic) If you are the rider who is being helped you do NOT have to pass the car unless you feel 100% about it. If you are worried about holding up others behind you let them come upfront and drop back. We do not want anyone to feel pressued into passing.

Move out of the way
First tell the ride behind you to catch up or get closer, this is also used for any "speed up" situation:

If you feel you want the guy behind you infront for any reason or you simply want to drop back, wave him up:

NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT:
The only time is when you have your own lane to do so, DO NOT DO A FLY BY, make the pass easy (5-10mph faster than the other riders).

U-Turn/Turn Around:

Stopping (Fist at 90 Degrees):

Your High Beams are on or turn signal still flashing:

Road Hazard, Debree

Slow Down or Bumpy road:

COP/5-0 (tap on helmet):

I Need Food/Drink:

I Need Gas (Point at tank):

Getting Pulled Over by a Cop:
The Group Gets Pulle

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Let us not forget the shocker

(I added the thumb for extra pleasure...if u dont know what im talkin bout, well, u will one day son.)

Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

I haven't been in a group of more than 4 ever, but I think it would be awesome. Its always just me and my freind. Neither one of us really leads, unless we're going somewhere new and only one of us knows the way. I'd like to go out and meet more people to ride with or join some club or something but my time is already in short supply from being an engineering student and working 30+ hours a week. I barely have enough time to sleep!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Friend and Hero ...

BUMP

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 PM

i hate leading. id much rather stay near the back instead of runniong the group and forcing everyone to ride at my pace. if im group riding on an occasion that is aimed more towards just kinda cruising or heading to a specific destination i like to be in the back but if im with a group riding twisties id rather be ahead of those slower than me but let the faster guys go first, so im usually in the middle.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Group rides...eh, not so much my style. Going long distance with two or three buddies, definitely. Personally, I'd rather be in the ghillie suit than out on the field with the rank and file.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Leading a large groupisn't so bad.

During our bigger rides (meaning 10 bikes or more) the pace is set by the leader and it's up to each individual rider to maintain their own "comfort zone". That's why we have a sweep and a lead and those two guys communicate during route changes, intersection crossings or fuel stops, etc.

Good ground rules equal a self-policeing (sp?) group and everything gets sorted within it by each of the riders based on the understood rules.

Rule 1: All egos are left at home. It's okay to be passed within the group....unless of coursethey pass me...then it's ON!! Ha! Jus kiddin'! Well, the ego-thing really is Rule 1.

Smaller groups are easy to lead for numerous reasons.

Quick Reply: Leading The Way