Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Leading The Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leading The Way

Just wondering how many of you out there, have either ended up road captain of a group ride or took on the responsibility full-time. Had the responsibility myself for a couple of years and would really like to know if you actually enjoy the ride more or less. I really like to be the Tail Ender you actually set the pace for the entire ride if you have a good road captain and if you think it is appropriate to cut the group size down to 4 bikes per-unit. If you only have 6 total would be no question in my mind, if you have more than that. And how many of you guys actually plan group rides. When I was stationed on the West Coast. There was 6 of us that rode religiously together and we would plan, The ride a couple days in advance so do you like it or not and or how do you feel about group rides altogether

Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Leading The Way

i like riding with my group of people because we all know eachother and theese are guys i trust with my life so i feel confident when i ride with them. i have been in the front and truthfully i dont like it.. i prefer being the full back.. we try and plan rides but sometimes that best ones are just pick a road and go ... every road leads you somewhere

Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Friend and Hero ...

it is very much true hitting the road with a small group and no game plan makes for a more enjoyable day as long asthe group isas well trusted as you stated and with small groups it works great as long as you get the basic hand signals down pat,makesit's a breeze.It wasin large group rides where you have guys who just rotated into the area and wanted to know whereis the best place to do a little leaning in those friends of friends who just got invited at the last minute that make for a long day , BUT group ridesin small groups with guys or girls you trust is the best ride of all

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM

Great topic,

Many people won't take the helm due mostly to their lack of confidence in just riding their pace and everyone else respecting that pace.

Many a times, there were only 2-3 of us that would purposely go out with one another and make each other take lead or rotate. This wasn't only about skill level, it was also about working with the hand and foot signals, and being able to learn different areas for rides. In some areas, it's best to have the person that knows the areas to be the leader. Trying to explain it through signals or even chatterboxes, would sometimes get in the way of concentrating.

In all the rides, organized or not, riders kinda naturally fall into place in the group. New riders start at the back until they/we are all in the same comfort zone. Strict rule is to NOT break their comfort zone. Group riding is kinda like an art as well as science. No one gets left behind period. If we come to a turn, we all wait no matter what. If somebody breaks down, or wipes out, we all go back too.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 PM

I ride with two different groups which has proven to be really cool. The group I ride with most often are very expirenced riders (the fast group) in fact one of them is a cop of 15 yrs. He knows the roads and the best rides to take like crazy so he always leads.I'm not qualifing this, but he has gotten us out of more than one ticket before just by tinning another cop.(you should all be so lucky as to have a cop in your riding group haha)
The other group I ride with is a far less expirenced group (the slow group) I love this group because I always lead. I have a few different rides I like to take these guys on that I know very well that are fun and safe for less agessive riders. ****.....I love this sport!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:50 PM

I have been a road cap and I did not like it, I just want to ride and not have to think about is everyone here, did the blockers get back up or are they stuck in the back, are the back runners still with us (big groups) It is too much to think about and try to ride at the same time.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you know, just got a news letter from my bike club, our ex president, who was the poor bugger that not only had to organise & coordinate the rides (stops, pick up points, emergency contacts etc), but was, as you put it the road captain. Mind you some of the rides had 200 plus riders on very different types of bikes, riding experience. Some where just plain maniacs & rode accordingly, like wise the ones that where a bit unsure of themselves, while others that prefered stopping every 5 minutes for a coffee & browse through the roadside antique shops, you get the drift.
Anyway it seems that this guy has suffered a stroke & is now blind, not saying that this had anything to do with having to organise rides, but..........Needless to say, no ones is rushing for that vacancy.
Wot I have found though, is that, like water, like riders find their own level, even on a ride with just a few others, this seems to be the case. As long as you organise yourselves enough to pick the "right" destination, and at the very least, a common meeting place(s).I say that because many a good ride has ended by having to search for those who go missing. 30 minute rule applies, if you ain't seen the guy behind in your mirrors for 30 minutes, you ride back for 30 minutes, everyone knows the rule, so if you stuff up or whatever, help is coming. I hate being the lead, don't mind being last (can't take the pressure man).

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not rode in a regular group. Just a couple of met ups n ride a few roads. Been looking for a group to ride with n learn from but been a no go thus far.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 AM

i dont lead the way bcuz i dont always know where to go, i leave it to the "O.G.", or "the coach" to lead, i trust alla guys i ride with with my life... and once we get to the canyons we ride well togther, everyone goes at there own pace, and we all ahve certain spots we stop at and meet up so no one is miles behind the fast group. im ussally in the middle somewhere. ussally like 2 mins behind the leaders.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I enjoy leading, but mainly when it is with a group I am comfortable with. I like to set a fast pace and get a little separation between guys in order to let everyone ride their own pace, and we always regroup at Stop Signs, turns, fuel stops, etc..... I like having a good sweeper bringing up the rear.

Don't mind running wingman either, but only if I trust who is in front.

Quick Reply: Leading The Way