Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Kill switch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use the key. The only time I've used the kill switch was when my Bird was on her side. I look at the kill switch as an emergency switch and use it as such. Using it to kill the bike doesn't make much sense to me. You still turn the ignition after using it anyway.

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 08-09-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Kill switches are put there for one main reason .... to kill the engine before letting go of the controls! (handle bars)
That's why the button can be reached without moving more than one finger !

Use it if you prefer all the time , or not , it does not matter !
but as was mentioned , it is quite easy to forget to turn the key off if you are prone to leaving the key in the ignition once you park her ...that is a definite flat battery trap !....

Some peeps think the kill switch is only for emergency's ?
... well if you ever are unlucky enough get her out of control in a bend ,or fall for any reason for that matter , I can assure you that hitting the bloody kill switch is one of the last things that crosses your mind !! ...lolol
I don't have a garage so there is no reason for me to forget the key in the ignition. Since I turn it off at the ignition the key is already in my hand making it very unlikely to forget taking it out. I'm quite **** about keys in general. I also automatically arm the alarm when I walk away from the bike and the remote is on the key.

When I ate it on the Bird a month ago the first thing that came to mind when I got up was to run for the kill switch! I understand why it's there and why some people use it to kill the bike but for me it's what it is. An emergency engine cut off switch. (Besides logic, it's also what I was taught during training. I think in the US they teach you to never be in neutral at a light but here if the light is long they tell you you can rest your left hand.)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i was a sales and service manager at a honda dealership this is what we told people

"kill the bike on the switch so your hands are on the handlebars, in case for some reason the bike lunges... or you are on a hill .. etc..."

but soon as the bike is steady and stable, with kick stand down make sure you cut off the key.

the key is the only way to kill the whole electrical system... if you dont .. and forget to ... you are draining the battery as it is powering up the harness and while system for nothing

good habit ... switch first .. then key...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard it could develop into a faulty kill switch. I think its all just a matter of preference, I personally use my key to kill the engine

Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM

on the newer RR's there has been problems with the kill switch becoming faulty... but on most other bikes I don't believe it would matter what you use. personal preference

Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM

I've always used the cutoff switch myself. I never had any problems because of it.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

I almost always use the kickstand switch, followed by the key.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CBRClassic's post is spot on.

I use the kill switch on all my bikes to turn off the bike b/f turning off the key.

Quick Reply: Kill switch question