Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Keep your head on a swivel - BE ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Keep your head on a swivel - BE ALERT

As riders, we all know that we are often targets of cagers...whether intended or unintended. The fact is, we are very vunerable to impacts from vehicles, whether we are sitting at a red light, simply riding down the road, or even sitting in a parking lot.

Yesterday, my wife came home (she's a daily rider) to tell me she was nearly hit from behind at a red light. The cager wasn't paying attention. As she is always super-aware of her surroundings while riding, she was able to manuever her bike away from the car in front of her to avoid being impacted. The cager locked up his brakes within about 3 inches from the next vehicle in front. Naturally, my wife gave him a piece of her mind from about 5 ft away. She said everyone at the light heard her, & a couple of other cagers that saw what happened, cheered her on w/ a thumbs-up.

Danger is everywhere. Being aware of your surroundings, especially what's happening behind you, is of paramount importance as a rider. Thankfully, my wife avoided being seriously hurt or killed.

Then, this morning, I hear this story...
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/...AE2omjO-w.cspx.
This poor rider is dead b/c of an idiot cager (intoxicated) who wasn't paying attention, & drove right into the back of an innocent rider who was w/ his buddy on a cross-country dream ride of his life. Now, he's dead. He was simply minding his own business & obeying the law. There aren't any further facts on the incident but it is fact that he was hit from behind & killed.

Be safe out there.

Last edited by gotcbr; 10-10-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate to see stories like that, there is only so much we can do to try to prevent being hit, there will always be that risk that is just a part of the life of a rider

Old 10-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Good advice... the more aware you are of what is happening around you the safer you are.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

So sad to hear stories like that

Glad your wife is ok, props to her for being so careful.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That is so sad but a reminder how vulnerable we all are and can be taken out at anytime ... one of the reasons I filter to the front is so I am not waiting to be hit from behind ... when waiting to turn right I am always extra vigilent too ... as bikers we always need that escape route if we see an impact coming, properly adjusted mirrors are essential ... so glad to hear your wife was fine :-)

Jules

Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make it a habit to 'flash' my brake light at lights while watching what the cage coming up is gonna do. Only once so far have I started to open the throttle. And only once have I started to put down the kickstand so I could ask the idiot face to helmet "wtf???"

Best tip I was taught is when stopped at lights the center of the lane is not the best position. Far right or far left (depending on whichever is further from oncoming traffic). That position makes it easier to hit your escape route (a straighter line out). And helps the driver in front of you see you better.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice... the more aware you are of what is happening around you the safer you are.
I make it a habit to 'flash' my brake light at lights while watching what the cage coming up is gonna do.
Totally agree with thrasher and kuroshio.
I sit in the far left of the lane, and allow about an extra 10ft between me and the guy in front of me. I also flash my brake lights almost every time, and I'm constantly checking my mirrors.
I've had 2 close calls. One at a stop sign, and one at a light. At the stopsign, I actually made a quick right turn (even though I was going straight), because I could tell the guy wasn't gonna stop. He not only didn't see me, but he ran the stop sign, too. He slammed the brakes, but wasn't even stopped by the middle of the intersection. I wanted to strangle the sombitch afterwards.

BTW, I absolutely hate hearing stories like the above one. What a shame.
And gotcbr, I'm glad to hear that your wife is a heads-up rider....and I'm glad she's ok.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad story . My wife when she first followed me asked why i kept turing my head at the stop lights and before i went though intersections. After i told her it was to watch for idiots she felt silly. She had one of those "DUH thats why you do it" moments. haha

Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm super thankful that my wife is an experienced aware rider. Absolutely great points about not sitting in the middle of the lane when stopped. No matter how "visible" you are w/ your gear, bike, etc, the danger is always there. Take precausions as best you can & be defensive as possible.