Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do you alert a rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you alert a rider?

Was on I95 this morning in my work truck heading towards a job. I saw a guy coming up on a bike. When he pulled even, I saw his rear tire was dangerous low. Low enough to deform and flatten in a straight line while pulling about 75 MPH.

Problem: how do you communicate something like that? Especially in a cage?

I suppose it could have been intentional as I don't know how the hell you couldn't feel that. I can tell when either of my bikes are +- 3 PSI. But at the same time I can't believe anyone would ride a rear that low at highway speeds either.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunt guys run lower air pressure in the rear tire. Maybe that's his reasoning...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Unless you have signs ready for the window, its hard while on the highway.

Solution? Make 400 signs and keep them in the cab.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Don't think he was a stunter. Bike wasn't prepped for stunting (don't think he even had frame sliders). And if I were to guess, tire pressure was prolly in single digits. Stunters may be crazy but the good ones ain't stupid. Too low for highway speed.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Wave crazily at him pointing at the back of his bike?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by chambers
Wave crazily at him pointing at the back of his bike?
+50

I would say hit the horn and wave crazily, roll down the window and point and make like a shocked face or should be sufficient(with a good "pointing").

Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

that's actually pretty common. when i used to frequent this bike shop in tally when i was in college, i remember hearing the tech all the time say something to the cashier to the extent of "and tell him he needs to monitor his pressure more, he came here at 10psi on the front"

i mean, i don't know if i could actually tell within 5psi, but i can sure as hell tell when it's HALF of what it should be. when i test rode the first 954 i bought, i brought it back to the guy and checked the front tire - it was 12 psi. it handles terrible. it doesn't want to turn at all.

as far as signalling other riders - there's really no way. when you're on the highway, and you notice someone in a car signalling to you - you don't assume he's another rider, you assume he's a guy thats pissed that you're on a bike, or that he loves your bike and wants you to pop a wheelie or something.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trey929RR
+50

I would say hit the horn and wave crazily, roll down the window and point and make like a shocked face or should be sufficient(with a good "pointing").
Yeah absolutely.

I know if I saw someone doing this i'd pull the hell over asap.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

ou could make one sign that says "somethings wrong with your bike." Wave all crazy like to get his attention and hold up the sign. After that its on the guy to figure it out.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
as far as signalling other riders - there's really no way. when you're on the highway, and you notice someone in a car signalling to you - you don't assume he's another rider, you assume he's a guy thats pissed that you're on a bike, or that he loves your bike and wants you to pop a wheelie or something.
^- This

If it were me and a cager was signalling I'd prolly pay him no mind. If he was going nuts, I'd prolly make space to get away from him. If i were riding, I'd have taken the chance and pulled alongside him and pointed. The tire was pancaking at 75. I was seriously worried for the guy.

And, yeah, I can feel when my tires are of. When I caught a roofing stape in Ororo's rear tire, she was only down about 3-4 psi. But the feeling made me stop to check pressure and then throw her on the stand to find out why (had checked about 2 days before)

Quick Reply: How do you alert a rider?