Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Just crashed an hour ago, so pissed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, man. Glad it wasn't worse than it was.
Just look at it this way.... you coulda slid under a car or totaled the bike or something.
I know it doesn't help much, but it's true.

On the burnout method for break-in.... sure it will heat the tire up, but it seems silly. You can do the same thing just by riding it a few miles and accelerating and braking a bit. I've had no issues by doing it this way, but doing a burnout will just leave a mark, probably **** somebody off, and take a few extra miles off your new tire.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that you and bike are OK. I just keep getting more informed on this site. Going in to get new rear tire in just a couple weeks. I am 100 % sure It would be me posting this same story if I hadn't read this. I like to get on it when leaving the shop.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

NEW Dunlop ruined by nail (right)

Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's just me but I can think of one reason why he shouldn't have done a rolling burnout: the variable traction of the sandy lot he was on

Dunno... call me weird but if it may have contributed to dumping him with a slightly aggressive takeoff...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Glad your physically ok. It does suck, but it could have been worse. Even though you feel pretty pissed, probably emabarrassed, at least you can tell your story and share. If nothing else, maybe someone else reading this post will think twice before doing the same thing.

But as said, it probably wasn't the new tire, it was the fact the tire was cold. Also, the sand as mentioned probably played a big role in it. Just keep in mind any cold tire can step out on you for future riding. even a tire with thousands of miles, if not warmed up, can have the same effect. so if there is a lesson to be learned, don't get aggressive on cold tires.

As for the burnout method. Not the way I would do it. I always replace my tires in sets, so the burnout method wouldn't help my front tire I always put a really good heat cycle into them before getting aggressive. The burnout method seems more of an attention getter than simply taking it easy for a few miles to get the same results. But, if its what makes you feel confidant riding on a new tire, so be it.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-30-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Yea I think you guys are right, thats what the mechanic said too it was probably from the sand, and yea I def gave it a little too much gas, cold/new tires = pavement.

And I know about warming up the tires when I get on my road I go left to right pretty hard. My road is a quarter mile, so by the end of it all the sand from my driveway is off the tires, enter the main road and its usually a couple miles till I can start feeling them heat up, although this Conti doesn't heat up as fast as the Dunlop.

Actually, the first day I got this bike, I left McDonalds, went around the drive through and the rear slid out then too, luckily I didnt crash.

Im just glad she still runs all right and the case on the left side didnt crack. Going to take her to Driver Retraining tomorrow at 8 am! So lame. Its actually the retraining I have to take for getting pulled over on this damn thing haha

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
NEW Dunlop ruined by nail (right)
I had a nail in my tire almost in that same spot... lol I just plugged it, been ridin like that for awhile now! haha

Old 07-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're okay. I did the same thing except on during the winter. You live to ride another day, enjoy the new bike!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 AM

That sucks that you dumped it, but like everyone else said, glad neither of you got hurt any worse than you did.
New tires are slippery, even more than a cold tire. What I mean is, if your mechanic mounted a new tire and then put tire warmers on your bike so that the tires were up to operating temp as you pulled out of the lot, they would still be slippery until you scrubbed off that releasing agent that is used in the manufacturing process. It keeps the tire from sticking to the mold that they're formed in. In my experience, most dealers will tell you to take it easy for a mile or two on your new tires.
I know in this case it was the sand that caused the trouble, I just wanted to make others aware that new tires are slippery. If you replace your tires as a set, smoking the back tire in the dealers parking lot isn't going to make the front tire stick any better.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
June 2011 ROTM

It sounds like the only thing that got busted up was the old ego. If I did that I would have to find a new dealership lol

Quick Reply: Just crashed an hour ago, so pissed