Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

jus my thoughts; anyone agree/disagree? (opinions?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to address the stop or don't stop issue... no point in beating what I consider a dead horse.

I will say though that you don't get a copy of the police report at the scene. You usually have to wait a day or two and go to the police station and request a copy. While it would be shiet for him to get fired over it and it might lead to a winable lawsuit, it is a LONG drawn out process that takes many months, sometimes years to settle. It isn't so cut and dry. Lawsuits are a pita and way more stressful in the long run.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 PM

hangfire, you can think i'm a ball sack but like i said earlier i wouldn't have stopped either

it sounds like a very busy road he was on and he looked in his mirrors to see signs of a crash and saw nothing
losing focus on where he was going to investigate could've caused "another" accident

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM

I agree with crashTech and also with making the decision to continue on to work. It may have been karma that put him on the ground. to each his own.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 AM

There was only one situation where I witnessed an accident, and I kept on driving. I was on the Ohio turnpike (this section was 3 lanes each way) and I was in the middle lane. It was raining pretty hard and I was only going 57-60. The limit is 65 and it seems like everybody does 70-75 normally. I was probably going a hair too fast as it was. All of a sudden the guy in the lane to my left slows way down really fast. I am thinking "WTH is he doing?" and then I see an SUV, probably Trailblazer sized or so. Flipping end over end. It comes to a stop/rest just as I white knuckle pass it. I looked in the mirror and about other 4 people had stopped. I decided that was enough and kept going. Fewer to get in the way of the EMS folks when they get there.

Scary stuff.

I can't say what I would have done in the OPs situation.... hard for anybody to say till you have been there.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Sry I came off offensive. Seriously though, when someones in trouble, aren't we supposed to help? Don't get me wrong, I can be the biggest a$$hole to people from time to time myself. But in a crisis situation petty stuff should be left behind. Who cares if it's their own fault, that someones son/daughter/sister/brother/wife/husband/etc. Lend a hand for their sake at least. I've seen some pretty bad wrecks, and seen people ignore them and head on their own way without seing if anyone needed help and it makes me sick. Wtf is wrong with our country nowadays when people are so self centered and uncaring that helping out a stranger in a bad spot isn't worth the time anymore?
Offensive - sure you were !
You don't know all the circumstances - the biker who didn't stop, may have many other issues (like feeding his family) - there's a recession on.............
I think if the rider felt he could do some real good (trained medic etc ) and wasn't probably more at risk by trying to get to the other rider then maybe.

I'd like to think that I'd stop - if I was first on the scene or could offer serious assistance.Otherwise you're just in the way and likely to cause even more problems.

I've seen too many people hurt and killed by getting in the way -

I get angrier with the "rubberneckers" who are only interested in the blood (and stealing stuff from the crashed vehicles)

The question is really only relevant because the other guy was on a bike - what would you have done if he'd been in a car ? Yes, we have become self-centred, and maybe if the world was the way it was when I was growing up, it would be different...........but it isn't.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-30-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM

The only time I EVER stopped to help is when I pickup truck flipped on it's side on the highway, and I could see the driver and pasenger trying to push the drivers side door up so they could get out. I climbed up and let them out, then took off.

Other than that, there's too much paperwork. If I see an accident occur, and its not horrible, I keep going. Being in Chicago, it's a regular occurance. I used to pull over and assit, but the police want to ask you 50,000 questions, and list you as a wtiness, and have you come to court blah blah blah. Sorry I ****ing bothered.

That's what's wrong with this country; beuracracy. If I could help out someone in need, and have the officer shake my hand, thank me for my time, and ask me to move along, I'd be far more prone to doing it.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always help out, but I live in a rural place where it's usually necessary.
I don't fault the op one bit and I don't see that he did anything wrong. There were obviously plenty of people around to assist and he didn't even really see an accident or what happened.
The fact that it was a fellow biker... I would have stopped if it was in front of me, I saw what happened, and I was in a position to help.
However, I don't think it's a valid reason not to stop just because he was doing something stupid. I also don't think that the potential for losing your job is a reason not to stop, either, IF you were in the position to potentially save someone's life. I don't think the OP was in that situation, though.
If you were on a back road with nobody around, and you saw someone fly by you and then miss a turn.... and you leave him/her laying in a ditch... yep, I'd probably have some words for somebody that did that.
As far as the karma thing... well... I don't believe in that chit any more than I do pixies and ghosts. That's just me, though..

Quick Reply: jus my thoughts; anyone agree/disagree? (opinions?)