Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Jacket cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacket cleaning

So what do you guys use to clean your jackets? mines filthy with all the damn bugs out...usually use some leather wipes, but is there anything better I should use or would recomend?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Jacket cleaning

thanks for asking that question. i've been wondering the same.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you could take it to get professionally cleaned, but I would only do that at the end of the year. I just use soapy water in aspray bottle, wipe it down, dry it off, and then some leather treatment if it needs it.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Go to Wilsons Leather..get the treat ment and the cleaner...your leather will love u for it...ive got a ICON leather and it still looks great...NEVER use water on leather..or order the stuff online but water and leather is a no no...the treatment water proofs it too...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Dubbin, don't know if you guys get it there, but I'm sure you would. http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin My jacket is about 15 years old, and apart from having a zipper replaced (Strain from holding in increasing size of beer gut), its almost as new. the secret to keeping leather is to keep it supple. There a lot of good products around. But for getting rid of crud I've found Saddle soap pretty good. You can even use petrolium jelly, rub it in with a soft cloth.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 PM

hmm, may try the wilson's stuff. I always use just use a damp warm rag. never any soap of any kind. dishsoap and stuff can damage the leather I am told.
I didnt think that a damp cloth could be bad, but maybe it is.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM

I will try some of those products....lesther wipes I use are just for cars do didnt really think they were enough, just want my jacket to last and look good

Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 AM

Think i will try that Wilson stuff too. bought a 2006 honda replica jacket. Looks great, but white leather just flat out sucks to keep clean.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 AM

Well, FWIW, my grandfather was a leather smith, made boots, sadles and holsters for the cowboys up in the TX panhandle, and as a kid, working in his shop, used to clean allot of leather. What I did, and still do to this day, is get some sheeps wool, you can find it in most hobby stores or even better leather shops. It'll come on various sizes, most often no bigger than your fist. It's leather with....well, wool on the other side, it's off a dang sheep after all. Anyway, soak it in warm water and squeez it out like you would a dish rag before wiping down the dining table, but still very moist, next, rub the wool side vigorously into some saddle soap, you can find that in any store that sells shoe polish almost. It'll form a rich lather, almost like a shaving mug. Then, scrub the bejeezus out of your leather working the soap in. Add water as needed to maintain a rich lather while scrubbing your leather. After your done, it'll leave a almost faint milky sheen to it. Take a super hot rag, wring out all the water you can, and wipe it clean. Next...let it dry, then take a boars hair brush, like the kind you use to brush shine your shoes, and buff it out. Then, your choice on the many leather conditioners out there, but I like to work in neats-foot oil slowly and work it in to the leather. This will keep it suple and water resistant while nourishing the leather, as well as protect it from the sun. I have done this to everything leather I have owned. From ball gloves, sofas, riding jackets, boots, holsters, belts, sadles, you name it, and has always done me well. I have a drop rig, six-gun holster and a sadle that was my grandfathers, made by his father, and with regular care, it still looks good as new and has that nice rich leather smell to it, despite decades of use, weather and rough conditions. Just my .02, but you can find all these materials in a hobby store or leather shop for under 20.00 and it'll last alot longer than you think, maybe 5-8 years before you need to buy more sadle soap and wool. Sounds like it takes a long time, but really an hour or so before you work in the oil, then let it hang for a day and your good.