Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance Providers !?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backroad
Check with a local Progressive agent. When I got my insurance, there was "Progressive Insurance" and "Drive Insurance by Progressive". The Drive Insurance was less expensive. Don't have the slightest idea why or if it's still offered.

But then, to ask people about where to get the cheapest insurance on a forum like this is really not much help. You're going to get different answers according to where the people who reply live. Insurance rates vary from company to company, state to state, and even county to county. It's all based on statistics like how many accidents happen in your state and county, amounts of repair bill costs, whether you're area has mostly just fender benders, if a lot of people total their vehicles, and even the number of accident deaths in your area. For example, I used to live in Lawrence County Ohio. My car insurance was $576/yr. I moved to Wayne County WV and my insurance raised to $1080/yr. Then, I moved to Cabell County WV and it dropped to $800/yr. Same insurance company, same vehicles, just different rates according to where I lived. When I moved from Wayne County WV to Cabell County WV, I asked my insurance agent what the deal was with the varying rates. She told me it was the accident statistics for the areas and put it bluntly and said, "We just have fender benders in Cabell County. Over in Wayne county when they wreck, they kill people."

The only sure way to find out is to get quotes in the area that you live in. Still, the point is to be sure you get adequate coverage, to compare like coverage to like coverage, and to not let an agent lowball you with shabby coverage. If you were to be at fault in an accident and the damage/medical bills for the other party were more than your coverage limits, whatever it costs over those limits will be coming out of your pocket. In other words, you'll probably get sued for the rest.

Everyone.....wear your gear, be safe, be alert, and be prepared for the unexpected. I hope, wish, and pray for all of you to be accident free.

i moved a year ago into our new house. 2 miles from old one but in a different ZIP code. insurance went up 200 dollars per year between both vehicles. i think its BS but cant do anything about it.....

Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I cannot recommend State Farm.

They are a "good neighbor" til you actually need them to fulfill the terms of your policy. Then, see how good of a neighbor they really are.

Check w/ GEICO, PROGRESSIVE, or USAA.

There are many ways to get your rate down; military, govt employee, good driving record, full time student, etc etc etc. A good agent/co will search for every way possible to get you the best rate. They are not doing you a favor...they're doing you a service which you are paying for. Don't be afraid to ask for every discount possible...worst that they can say is that you're not eligible for specific types.

Good luck.

USAA does not offer motorcycle insurance. When you call them and ask for it, they transfer you to Progressive. Which I have found is by far the cheapest. I'm talking the difference of $98 a year with Progressive and $110 a month with Geico and State Farm was somewhere in between. And that was for state minimum by the way.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 AM

I have State Farm. I did some checking and they were the cheapest. I pay $35 a month for full coverage. Can't beat that.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paigecm1
I have State Farm. I did some checking and they were the cheapest. I pay $35 a month for full coverage. Can't beat that.
Please list the exact coverages of your policy. Would like to see what you policy calls "full coverage" for that price. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paigecm1
Originally Posted by gotcbr
Please list the exact coverages of your policy. Would like to see what you policy calls "full coverage" for that price. Thanks.
At a few cents over $39/mo with State Farm mine isn't too much higher than his. $470.72/yr on a new 2008 CBR1000RR gets me this:

Bodily injury and property damage - 100/300/100
Comp ($1,000 ded) - ACV
Coll ($1,000 ded) - ACV
Uninsured motorist 100/300

State Farm was by far the least expensive in my area of anyplace place I called or checked online.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

see i have bad driving record. couple speeding tickets (1 was reckless driving), unsafe lane change and 2 accidents in the last 3 years. I know i know. but the reckless driving i can explain. my wife was in labor and i was rushing home on the motorcycle to be with her. cop still gave me a ticket

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 PM

progressive was best for me. state farm sucked when i tryd to file a claim and they gave me a run around to finally get my money. i have a semi crappy driving record from when i was young and dumb and progressive is still cheaper for me and seems to be pretty fair and on point with there coverage.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option may be AAA. AAA has really been pushing their insurance lately. The AAA in my area actually has its own dmv office inside, which is a huge benefit instead of having to wait in the normal state ofc for hrs on end. AAA membership can get a little pricey, depending on which options you want, but it can be worth it when you're broken down & need a tow. Just a little extra info for all you insurance shoppers out there.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

I went with Progressive because they don't require me to have a car with them and they were the cheapest on the last bike I shopped around for. I went with liability only because full coverage just doesn't make sense to me on a cheap machine, but I may up it.

I'm 28 and married with a DWI 2 years ago and good credit. 01 929 ER with 100/300/100 is $325 for liability, would have been $909 for full coverage and both of those are with the charges for paying it over time.

I'll be shopping for auto, home, and cycle all together soon.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM

progressive was 20 a month cheaper than gecko/caveman crap and forget state farm btw progressive gives u a discount for being a honda riders of america member which is free to join

Quick Reply: Insurance Providers !?