Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance for my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have progressive and I only pay like 240 for a YEAR. but this basic basic basic liability. for the most part just paying for the slip of paper to say im insured.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Honestly, it sounds like you need to get rid of the bike. Insurance companies literally try to price certain people out of owning a sport bike. Take American Family Insurance, for example. Their rates for sport bikes, regardless of your driving record, are so high that you'd be a fool not to look elsewhere. It's something they don't want to deal with because of how big of a claim they could end up facing.

This may sound cold, but if someone has a bad enough driving record that they're having trouble getting insured, I don't really want them on the road either.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
Honestly, it sounds like you need to get rid of the bike. Insurance companies literally try to price certain people out of owning a sport bike. Take American Family Insurance, for example. Their rates for sport bikes, regardless of your driving record, are so high that you'd be a fool not to look elsewhere. It's something they don't want to deal with because of how big of a claim they could end up facing.

This may sound cold, but if someone has a bad enough driving record that they're having trouble getting insured, I don't really want them on the road either.
It doesn't sound cold at all, just a little narrow minded.

Like I said before, for full coverage I'm looking at thousands a year. So with my second bike I paid cash because minimum coverage is my only option for a decent insurance price. I'd rather pay zero dollars, insurance is the biggest scam in history. Like the mafia, you pay for protection so you don't have to be scared. If nobody had insurance I bet people would drive their 50K$ Cadillac a little differently. Anyways I won't get too far into that debate.

My driving record is horrible because I chose to do a lot of "street racing" and just happened to get caught many times. Resulting in many, many fines and multiple suspensions. Most the time it was done on secluded roads away from the general public but commonly frequented by the police because of this very reason.

Regardless of my horrible record on paper.. I grew up driving difficult vehicles on difficult roads that are glare ice most the year. Not to mention ungodly snow.. I have more confidence in my operating abilities than I do in at least 80% of the people on the road. I'm 25 and would say I drive far more than the average person. I've been in only 1 accident, because a girl on her phone pulled in front of me. Unavoidable.

Basically the world we live in, they make it a law to have insurance. If a person truly is dangerous on the roads... than it's good those people must pay high premiums. However there are people out there who, like myself, just made a few bad decisions and now if I want full coverage Im looking at high costs. No way around it.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM

What's funny is in the insurance world.. full coverage for me is so high. As if I'm a dangerous person who they would be taking a risk on.

Yet at my place of work I operate cranes that lifts loads in excess of 40 thousand pounds, drive and operate multi-million dollar machines/heavy equipment for 12 hours at a time. Most important thing of the job? Safety.

Yet I'm unsafe operating a 300 pound 2 wheeled machine.... Right.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM

That's wild high prices.

I pay 320ish a year for full coverage with state farm.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

chris, where are you located? insurance premiums can vary by location.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
chris, where are you located? insurance premiums can vary by location.
It's not an issue for me anymore, I pay 180 a year for minimum because I paid cash for my current bike

I learned the hard way with my first bike, financing I was required to have full coverage. i.e I should have never financed simply because of insurance.

But since you ask I currently live in Indiana, where things are generally cheap. Even insurance to an extent..

I grew up and spent my first years of driving in Alaska though, Insurance wasn't expensive for me then.. I had yet to screw it up my record.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CHRlS
It doesn't sound cold at all, just a little narrow minded.
I was specifically talking about the OP's situation. State Farm won't insure him at all. That means they've looked at the evidence and their computers say it's not a question of if he'll be in an accident, but when and how bad.

Maybe I am being narrow-minded, but I'm not concerned about that at all. The experts have said that based on all their information, he's very high-risk. Why should I be open-minded about letting high-risk drivers on the road? I actively avoid them, and I'm not about to give someone the benefit of the doubt despite their terrible driving record.

Now, I'm not saying I don't think he should have a sport bike at all, but what he has is obviously a lot more than he can handle financially. My recommendation would be to get something he can afford in cash and get liability insurance (which seems to be about 1/8 the cost in my case). Like you mentioned, people would drive differently if they didn't have insurance. You wreck your bike with liability, and it's coming out of your own pocket.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
I was specifically talking about the OP's situation. State Farm won't insure him at all. That means they've looked at the evidence and their computers say it's not a question of if he'll be in an accident, but when and how bad.

Maybe I am being narrow-minded, but I'm not concerned about that at all. The experts have said that based on all their information, he's very high-risk. Why should I be open-minded about letting high-risk drivers on the road? I actively avoid them, and I'm not about to give someone the benefit of the doubt despite their terrible driving record.

Now, I'm not saying I don't think he should have a sport bike at all, but what he has is obviously a lot more than he can handle financially. My recommendation would be to get something he can afford in cash and get liability insurance (which seems to be about 1/8 the cost in my case). Like you mentioned, people would drive differently if they didn't have insurance. You wreck your bike with liability, and it's coming out of your own pocket.
I can agree with that. All I'm saying though is that just because the insurance company believes a person is high risk, doesn't mean they are dangerous or shouldn't be on the road or on a sport bike.

My grandmother shouldn't be aloud to operate any type of machinery but in the insurance companies eyes shes a great driver. It's pure luck she has yet to be in a major accident.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM

You gotta pay to play!

That being said, I believe in the OP's instance, the cost to play is too high.

Quick Reply: Insurance for my bike?