Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Injector Problems on Mazda Protege?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Problems on Mazda Protege?

I installed a K&N air filter on a stock 2000 Protege LX (1.6L). (Yes I know it's still a slow cage)

There is good and bad. First the good:

- My gas mileage went up to 36.32 on my last tank.
- The change seems to have addednoticeablemore power (I don't know how much since I haven't dyno'd it)

Ok, now the bad:
This may be totally unrelated but it started at the same time, and seems like it has gotten worse. On medium and heavy acceleration, and between 3.5k and 4.5k on the tach, the car jerks a lot in the same way a deisel truck jerks when you take off in first and don't need to. Does anyone have guesses on what is causing this? My thought was that installing the K&N filter messed with the fuel air mixture and the computer/injectors are having issues compensating. At first I thought the injectors might be a little dirty, and I added a bottle of injector cleanerat a fill up, but that hasn't seemed to stop it fromgetting worse.

Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Injector Problems on Mazda Protege?

ORIGINAL: travisgarrison

- My gas mileage went up to 36.32 on my last tank.
36.32...give or take a 1/100 of a mile per gallon.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your on the money with the air/mixture ratio from the filter being attached. I know that the on board chip is supposed to regulate fuel flow, ratio etc. but being non standard!!!. & since its only happened since! I don't think its a coincidence. Is it a specific K&N for that model?. 2nd most probable, check your plugs & leads. I had an Astina (1.8) for a few years, don't need a high powered can when you have a bike.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 PM

c'mon, I'm detailed. I just divided the miles by the total gas put in the tank. Are you just going to mock me, or do you have suggestions?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. It is the K&N filter designed for this model. I will check my plugs tomorrow probably. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the sensors to compensate better for the higher airflow. Out of curiosity, would I have to install a jet kit if I put the K&N air filter on my 99 CBR F4 do you think?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM

c'mon, I'm detailed. I just divided the miles by the total gas put in the tank. Are you just going to mock me, or do you have suggestions?
Sorry man, just bustin' your chops a little. I come in peace.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Are you just going to mock me, or do you have suggestions?
Here you go Travis...
http://www.mazdaforum.com/

Btw, that site looks identical to this one...what's up with that?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I'm not terrible familiar with your particular model, but i am going to assume you have a mass are flow sensor behind your filter? Perhaps you over oiled and coated the sensor a bit. Otherwise if you have a ohm meter you can check the injectors easy enough, i could get you resistance specs tomorrow if you needed them, but im thinking 14-18 thru the injector is close. However in my experience, bad injectors are most noticeable at idle or slow acceleration, and get better under heavy load. You seem to have the opposite problem, under load tends to lean me towards electrical problems.