Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I have a question to all the firefighters in here(if any).

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question to all the firefighters in here(if any).

Well guys I have a question for you. I've been wanting to become a firefighter ever since I was a kid but about 2 years ago, I made a mistake by drinking and driving and now I have a DUIon my record. Will this prevent me from being able to join the LAFD? Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Default RE: I have a question to all the firefighters in here(if any).

I'm currently trying to become a firefighter as well (hence the FF in FFCBRF4i). I live in LA County so if you're trying out for City, I'm just guessing you live in CA as well. I'm twenty and I've been an Explorer for over 3 years, been through their fire academy, got my Fire Tech AS Degree in College, got my EMT COA, am continuing my education, and am applying with any department I can. My ultimate goal is to become a firefighter/paramedic. Through everything I've been through, I've noticed that the fire department is really strict. They don't bs with people. If they don't like one small thing about you, they simply won't hire you. Reason being is job competition; they have a lot of people to choose from. For example, LA County had a test a couple years ago and over 20,000 people applied and there were VERY FEW job openings. There are A LOT of people that are well qualified for the career. You have to be damn near perfect. That's just how I see it.

I really hate to see people with DUI's on their driving record. One of my captains does background checks for LACoFD. He says that the moment he spots a DUI, he'll throw away the application. I'm sorry, I don't want to tell you the bad news, but it is unlikely that you'll be hired as a firefighter. I also don't want to tell you that there is absolutely no hope because there might be. Try to get your DUI off your record somehow. I knew a guy that received a DUI and is currently fighting it with lawyers and so on. I really hate to see somebody's aspiration being thrown away especially if it is fire related. Go over, under, around, or through it, but never give up.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:46 AM

It's right on the LAFD recruitment website. DUI is a automatic disqualifying conduct.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM

^^ +1 DUI is automatic disqualification on most applications even over here on the east coast. There might be some departments that will give you a second chance however to imploy someone with your record is tough because that will always be there for someone to latch onto if something goes wrong. Not saying it will, but you see what I'm getting at. If its really your dream, like FFCBRf4i said, don't give up. Do everything you can to get it off there.

MDFF

Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, hopefully I can get that DUI off my record. Thanks again.