Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to increase gas mileage in your car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to increase gas mileage in your car!

I wrote this quick so sorry about the typing errors.

Gas Mileage
Already at the pump you can see that gas prices are increasing substantially. Now with these hard economic times you probably wonder, “How can I get better gas mileage?” In order to get better gas mileage your car needs to run in its optimum performance that it came from the factory in. Here are the following tips to look into when trying to achieve this goal.

Air Filter-Restricted air can cause a motor to work harder. When the motor has to work harder the duty cycle tends to raise the injector pulse and create a worse fuel economy. You should change your filter when you can no longer see light present through it or every 15,000 miles to be on the safe side.

MAF(Mass Air Flow Sensor)- If you have a dirty MAF this cause excess gas mileage based on the senor is plugged with slime and dirt. In order to fix this you should buy a product called-CRC MAF Air Sensor Cleaner. By doing this they actually have seen significant results in your cars performance by cleaning them. I suggest doing this every 10,000-15,000 miles.

Fuel Filters-Clogged fuel filters tend to cause hard starting and drivability with the car. Even though you may not feel these symptoms it can still be somewhat clogged. When a filter is clogged it has to increase fuel pressure to work against this. Again as you can see if your car ever has to fight against getting the available resources to meet its performance it will sacrifice it in a different area. Changed at 30,000 miles

Spark Plugs-You will hear manufactures talk about changing your spark plugs at 100,000 miles. Well actually there wrong in a lot of ways and actually Toyota has gotten smart with it on some of there cars and changes them at every 30,000 miles. What happens is after a period of time your spark plug gap expands. When it does it is now out of the element were the manufacture wanted the spark range at for atomization with spark and fuel burning. This can cause a rich or lean burn reading on your o2 sensor. If there is any kind of change it is seeing, which effecting its LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) and STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) the car will richen or lean the values causing poor performance. I suggest changing these every 30,000-50,000 miles. Depending if you do a lot of stop and go on the highway.

Tire Pressure-This is a critical one. If you do not keep your tires inflated to the proper level you will notice excessive wear on your tires and as well as gas mileage. Also when keeping proper inflation DO NOT GO BY THE SIDEWALL OF THE TIRE. This is for maximum pressure only through the tire. Go by what the manufacture says in the door jam or service manual. A good recommendation is between 32-35lbs for a cars tire. Trucks are different based on load/tow.

These are the 5 most important one’s I can think of while writing this quickly. Some people will recommend dumping seafoam or an injector cleaner every so often. This is a good idea as well since it can help wash out the varnish gas builds up. Others will talk about cleaning the throttle body. Unless you have a high mileage vehicle I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reference: Graduated from Saint Paul College majoring in the Automotive Service Technology and also taking an addition year at Century College. Been working on cars since the age of 14 years old.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These and hydrogen fuel cells

Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM

If your talking about gas blends. This is a area you can not control lol

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
MZ5

This recent study:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf
indicates that dirty air filters do not adversely impact mpg, at least on modern, FI cars.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
This recent study:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf
indicates that dirty air filters do not adversely impact mpg, at least on modern, FI cars.
I think there wrong on that one. A clogged air filter effects performance on a car and maf readings. I don't trust half the stuff they throw online any more and not really books either. My teacher had to call many book manufactures and explain they were wrong. Good news is if there wrong you get a big fat check in the mail for fixing there issues.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM

I got the perfect answer: Quit driving........

Regardless if the gas goes up to 7 a gallon i will still have to pay for it like most people.....I can b!tch about it or i can not worry about it.......

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
MZ5

Originally Posted by Krux
I think there wrong on that one. A clogged air filter effects performance on a car and maf readings. I don't trust half the stuff they throw online any more and not really books either. My teacher had to call many book manufactures and explain they were wrong. Good news is if there wrong you get a big fat check in the mail for fixing there issues.
I work with an oil analyst that says they're wrong, too. While he (and you) may ultimately be right, all of the explanations he offers in public as to how he 'knows' they are wrong are logically flawed.

One might choose to attack this study's methods, but the outcome of what they did is crystal clear, so I think it's kinda silly to claim that its outcome is incorrect without some kind of support for that claim. My oil analyst (and I) would sure like to hear something specific as to what's wrong with the study!