Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

helmet ideas

Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question helmet ideas

I have a Scorpion helmet that I think I have about 100 bucks for couple of years ago... I am wondering what the difference is between another of these and an Icon or Shoei or Suomy.... for 5,6,7,800 bucks?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Comfort, features and quality mostly.

If a helmet meets a certification, like DOT or Snell, all helmets with that certification meet a minimum set of requirements to carry that label. A $400 DOT helmet and a $150 DOT won't be significantly different as far as safety. A Snell rated helmet does go through more safety testing than a DOT rated one and will generally carry a higher price.

But when comparing 2 helmets with the same safety certification, price will usually determine features and quality. Things like wind noise reduction, venting, weight, materials used (I have a carbon fiber Joe Rocket helmet), shield attachment features (quick releases, locking mechanisms) and such.
Thanks

Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comfort, features and quality mostly.

If a helmet meets a certification, like DOT or Snell, all helmets with that certification meet a minimum set of requirements to carry that label. A $400 DOT helmet and a $150 DOT won't be significantly different as far as safety. A Snell rated helmet does go through more safety testing than a DOT rated one and will generally carry a higher price.

But when comparing 2 helmets with the same safety certification, price will usually determine features and quality. Things like wind noise reduction, venting, weight, materials used (I have a carbon fiber Joe Rocket helmet), shield attachment features (quick releases, locking mechanisms) and such.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM

go to a store and put one of the more expensive helmets on and you will tell the difference immediately. If I had the $900 Arai helmet i tried on i dont think i would ever take it off it was so comfortable (and a real investment at my age haha).

They are all rated for safety by DOT but if u can get one with Snell too then do it.

My ex gf bought the HJC IS-16 it was $170. GREAT HELMET, it has sunglasses built in that slide in and out of the helmet, they are great glasses too you can even just use them instead of the windscreen. It has a cloth thing that covers your chin and touches your neck, its a comfy feature and at the same time it greatly reduces noise.

She loved it, i wish i had bought one for myself but it didnt fit as well as the one i chose .

which is another important thing... make sure there a no doubts about comfort/ fit. Remember dont go cheapo on a helmet because if u take care of it it should last about 8 years. its worht spending an extra 100-$200 on a nicer helmet if your budget allows it.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Michaud85
go to a store and put one of the more expensive helmets on and you will tell the difference immediately. If I had the $900 Arai helmet i tried on i dont think i would ever take it off it was so comfortable (and a real investment at my age haha).

They are all rated for safety by DOT but if u can get one with Snell too then do it.

My ex gf bought the HJC IS-16 it was $170. GREAT HELMET, it has sunglasses built in that slide in and out of the helmet, they are great glasses too you can even just use them instead of the windscreen. It has a cloth thing that covers your chin and touches your neck, its a comfy feature and at the same time it greatly reduces noise.

She loved it, i wish i had bought one for myself but it didnt fit as well as the one i chose .

which is another important thing... make sure there a no doubts about comfort/ fit. Remember dont go cheapo on a helmet because if u take care of it it should last about 8 years. its worht spending an extra 100-$200 on a nicer helmet if your budget allows it.
Everything I've read says 5 years of use and then replace with a new helmet. Maybe 8 years from date of manufacture. The resins used in the helmet shell continue to harden, albeit slowly, until they become too brittle to perform as intended. Exposure to sunlight speeds that hardening process.
Have to agree with you on not buying cheap and making the effort to find a comfortable lid. Who wants to ride when just putting on a helmet makes you uncomfortable?
I hate to admit it, but I'm waaay overdue on replacing my helmet, still wearing the Arai I got in '02. Recently got a flyer in the mail from Cyclegear.com w/ EXO-1000's for $100-150. Worth checking out if you don't have the money for those high dollar units.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:49 PM

I LOVE my scorpion lids. I've ridden with HJC's ICON's and others. Will be buying scorpions for a LONG time to come. It's all in what fits you best and has the features you want. You can't beat the features for the price and quality of a scorpion though!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scorpion has the best feaures for the lowest cost IMO.