Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Has anyone got experience about RAM Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone got experience about RAM Mounts?

I`ve been searching the net for different ways to fix a normal camera to my bike, but many that I`ve seen hav seemed really flimsy, and the last thing I need is a big, heavy camera wobbling around atop a fishing rod... One other thing that I had been seacrhing form them is versatility so I don`t have to a) buy a new bracket for every fixing point I want the camera to be mounted, b) fear that the camera will fall off from some cheap knock-off mount cause it wasn`t ment to hold so much weight...

So I ordered some RAM mount kit pieces that I can (hopefully) fix my camera on my bike reliably. The basis of the kit looks like this:

I should be able to fix the camera to my tank with this, however my main concern is will that suction cup hold in a tank, cause it is ment to fix the mount on the inside of a windshield.

I also got one of these to be screwend on top of my rack box:

Should be sturdy enough...

And I got 3" and 6" shafts for different filming heights (long so the camera should see over my head and the short to not get too far away to the side)

I`m keen to know if anyone has used / uses them. I know I will, have found some new killer roads this week I`m burning to get to film...

Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a RAM mount in my steering yoke for my GPS. I like it a lot. Very solid mount.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM

Don't have any personal experience, but we've sold plenty of them and we haven't had a single complaint about 'em. One of my co-workers uses em as GPS/camera mounts and has done quite a bit of adventure touring and they've held steady.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

The packet came today via mail, picked it up, the parts feel to be really good quality, the suction cup is incredible, man you could propably pull dents from your car with that thing! I drilled the ball-base thing to my rack box and went off to film a test video. I drove along this curvy road going to the local tourist marina about 7km from the town center cause it is a fine serpentine road, and it looks pretty funny cause it`s mostly red due to the red granite rock it`s been made out of. When I got to the marina I stopped and turned around to turn off the camera...........what camera?

On my way back I found a trail of plastic bits with this in the end.

Farewell Olympus, you served well...

The PLASTIC thread nut on the bottom of the camera had been corked off and the whole thing fell off DESPITE the fact that it was double secured through the baseplate holes with two zip ties going around the camera...

I normally don`t cry after materia cause consumer goods tend to fail eventually, but this one had a special sentimental value cause it was a birthday gift from my wife and her mom a few years back...

I managed to recover all but two parts, the battery case lid and the one I went to look for with my car afterwards: the memory card. Would have been nice to get the few last seconds of the camera stored...

And for the record, I do not hold this against the RAM mount, it did good...