Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.

I considered buying the glock 45 but decided on the Sig P220 .45 instead. I liked the feel alot better. My normal carry set up when not on a bike is a miami classic shoulder holster, both of my Sigs, one on each side, not because I'm Rambo but because the holster balances much nicer with 2 guns and besides in the unlikely event one of them should fail/jam when in a tough spot doesn't hurt to have the other. I have crimson trace laser grips on both of them and tritium night sights. I used to plate shoot competitively but haven't done that in awhile now. Guns can be alot of fun recreationally too! I had a ton of fun taking the combat shooting course offered by Massad Ayoob along time ago. Was very educational and alot of fun. The point shooting I learned there really helped me in plate shooting.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Mad

I agree you were justified in your actions. I don't carry a gun nor do I own a gun. I also am not worried about running into someone who does. As javscbr said I don't go around bullying or stealing either.

I've seen both sides. I had a friend accidentally killed while my other friend was cleaning his gun. I also had a friend’s mom killed by a sick SOB. My brother was shot in the foot by another guy while sitting around a camp fire. They were drinking. I think it all breaks down to responsibility and caring. If you have a CCW I tend to NOT worry about you because your intentions are generally for self protection. As I stated above I don't bother people.

BUT as you story states sometimes that situation does arise. I've been lucky and I hope to stay lucky.

ANOTHER BUT

I believe there are limits. I really can't understand why someone would need a fully automatic assault rifle. I guess the same argument could be raised on why someone would need a Hayabusa 1300 (Those things are fast). Maybe as with the Hayabusa owning an assault rifle is just a hobby. I support the right to bear arms whole heartily but when it comes to full fledge military grade assault rifles designed to kill masses I think that is where I draw my limit.

Handguns and hunting rifles is where I am..

ORIGINAL: BackTalk

Here's my deal. I have had a CCW for over 30 years now. Got it when I first got on the fire dept. I carry a Glock G30 which is a small 45acp. I put it on just like you put on your pants every morning and don't even think about it. In all those years I have only pulled it 3 times. Once my wife and I were behind a car at a stop lite. The light turned green and the guy just set there and let the light turn red again. It was about 2 in the morning and no other cars around. I saw him pull a gun from his waist area as he got out and walked toward us. At that point another car pulled up behind me and I couldn't get my bike out. Yea a Harley at that time. I went on alert and pulled my 45 and put it low in my lap at the same time my wife did the same. The guy behind us yelled get off the bike it's mine now. It would not be a threat if someone was just going to take my bike or just car jack your car, but the gun was a threat to my wife and to me. I put the red laser dot wright on the forhead of the guy with the gun. The guy comming up from behind was greeted with my wife's 2" 357 mag and the threat was over. They hauled *** but we were able to get both lic. numbers and they were caught at a 7/11 store about 6 blocks away. I have no idea what would have happened to us had we not been carring. If you think I wouldn't have fired you need to think again. If it weren't for the gun the first bad guy had I would have given him the bike. It wouldn't be worth shooting someone for just takeing your ride. The gun is a whole different story.
I feel weather you approve or not on the gun issue the bad guy will always have one.
My 2 cents
BT

Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 AM

The problem with only liking "normal weapons", and not full-on mass killing devices.....lol, is that there are little differences between the two. Let me explain. Normal hunting rifle would be say a ruger 10/22, normal every-day rabbit plinker for the pot of stew....now , put a McMillan stock, fluted shillen barrel, and a nice optic on it and now it looks like an "assualt weapon" Sorry folks, same lady in a different dress, even if it is only a .22, still holds true for the deer rifle at wal-mart, upgrade it to a nice stock, paint it black, put a sunshade on the scope and it looks like a sniper rifle....ohhhhh, but hey, same rifle, but it looks dangerous. My point is...who am I to tell you what you as a law abiding citizen can own......what might not be "usefull" in my book, might be your hobby. I don't think bikes should go faster than 100mph.....does that make sense, I mean, where is the speed limmit 100mph???? Of course not. The evil black rifle or handgun is so overblown and the public eats it up. Funny how Kalifornia banned .50BMG's...great reason I guess , since theres not one documented crime commited with a .50BMG, oh , thats right, I see thugs walking around with 45lb, 6,000$ rifles waiting to rob a 7-11.........please.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:10 AM

X2mad....I re-read your post...I agree with you in part. Maybe owning a 1300 busa is a hobby like owning an assualt rifle. Allot of similarities between the two. To you or me, maybe the busa is excess, but that shouldn't dictate what you can own and operate legally. Many folks get confused between assualt rifles, and fully automatic rifles, and what not. In order to get a full auto, you need a class three, and a class three dealer, plus some serious $$$$$$for all the transfer fees plus the bakground track, permit, and tax, and cost of the weapon...unless you illegally purchase the weapon, but lets keep this to law-abiding guys like you and me. You might like to plink coke cans in a feild one lazy afternoon, and I might like to plink steel plates with my HK91 on the same afternoon. Military based weapons are good for lots of reasons. First, they were produced in the millions so they are cheap. Because they were produced in the millions, so was ammo, so ammo is cheap, they were designed to be somewhat accurate and reliable, a feature any shooter would desire. SO........cheap rifle, cheap ammo = shooting fun. Even if it does look like a doomsday eveil killing maniac machine. Its not called the bill of needs or the bill of wants...it is called the bill of rights.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Mad

I guess my reasoning between the two are such...

I think that if someone has a .. I don't know maybe a .247... Then they are more inclined to use that for hunting only... They have young kids and teach their kids that guns are dangerous. My dad never locked his guns up when I was a kid... BUT... let me tell you what if I touched them I knew I was in trouble. I was also always taught to THINK before I shot. If I didn't know where that bullet was going then I told to NOT take that shot.

I feel those people don't view that gun as anything more as a tool to hunt and put food on the table, yea I know it sounds lame but I never grew up thinking that gun was to be used to kill a living human being.. I still don't....

I agree I am not here to tell you what type of weapon you can or can not own. It is a personal preference but please teach responsibility. I also agree that a single shot derringer can kill a person as easily as a M16 assault rifle.

I guess the bottom line is education. Teach your kid to respect human life and they will. Gun control will not solve any problem until we learn to value human life. Once we do that then hopefully our murders will drop.

I really appreciate the civilized discussion. You all have excellent points.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill of rights??????? Who really needs it ???, when our Gov from the top down to local, has our best intrests at heart!!!!!!!!!! Gun rights, were constutionaly, to protect us from tyrany... look whose doing there damndest to remove that right.
I like the line in preditor-vs- alien ... why the gun?? It's like a condom. it's better to have one, and not need it ,than need it and not have one. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 AM

This is going better than I had thought. I see your point and agree X2. I feel the bottom line is that sh!theads will be such, whether with a gun, knife or whatever....what was that case a while back about the guys in FL(?) who killed a few folks with a ball bat over a damn X-Box game....c'mon... As far as murders/deaths dropping, I don't think firearms are in the top 10, someone correct me if I am wrong. As far as deaths, I don't think firearms make the top 10, in murders maybe, but thats a whole spider web of what is considered murder/preventable death, DUI, Suicide, so on, not a valid point on my part but maybe worth a throw out there.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Mad

Your right.

I think the top killer of ALL people is health related.. IE heart disease etc... BUT I believe gun deaths are in the top 10 for teens.. I believe auto accidents are the top. They might even be #1...

Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 AM

BAN BAD DRIVERS!!!!!!! right on the money X2!!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM

well put....i do want a 50 bmg btw....

Quick Reply: GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.