Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.

Ok we have the go ahead on the firearms topic. This is what was said:
"Jess,

I really appreciate that you asked first. It's fine with me if you start a
new thread or you can just respond to this one:
https://cbrforum.com/m_152949/mpage_1/tm.htm#152949

Only thing I ask is that the discussions be carried out in a civil manner.
As you may have surmised we completely got rid of politics and religion type
threads because they always get so heated. There have been a few gun and
carry permit threads and they seem to go o.k.

So go ahead ... and thanks again for asking first.

gregg / chainstretcher"

Since it will be my *** on the line here lets try to set up some kind of structure.
Keep it to only hand guns
Any name calling or in the other guys face it's over
Lets hear your thoughts pro or con
Share any expereance good or bad you have had with guns
Try not to class anyone like the Harley riders or Rice riders and so on. (good luck with that one)
Anything anyone else wants to add to this jump in. I am the new kid and in no way want to come off like I am taking charge. All I did was ask for the okey dokey.
Also what we do up on the Glock forum is if you are really pissed at someone and want to vent, just send them a personal email and keep it off the thread. If you don't like me already, or need to straighten me out, here is my email addi: jlazyh1@earthlink.net
Ok lets give it a shot. Ha Ha I got in the first one.
Jess (BackTalk

Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Default RE: GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.

Here's my deal. I have had a CCW for over 30 years now. Got it when I first got on the fire dept. I carry a Glock G30 which is a small 45acp. I put it on just like you put on your pants every morning and don't even think about it. In all those years I have only pulled it 3 times. Once my wife and I were behind a car at a stop lite. The light turned green and the guy just set there and let the light turn red again. It was about 2 in the morning and no other cars around. I saw him pull a gun from his waist area as he got out and walked toward us. At that point another car pulled up behind me and I couldn't get my bike out. Yea a Harley at that time. I went on alert and pulled my 45 and put it low in my lap at the same time my wife did the same. The guy behind us yelled get off the bike it's mine now. It would not be a threat if someone was just going to take my bike or just car jack your car, but the gun was a threat to my wife and to me. I put the red laser dot wright on the forhead of the guy with the gun. The guy comming up from behind was greeted with my wife's 2" 357 mag and the threat was over. They hauled *** but we were able to get both lic. numbers and they were caught at a 7/11 store about 6 blocks away. I have no idea what would have happened to us had we not been carring. If you think I wouldn't have fired you need to think again. If it weren't for the gun the first bad guy had I would have given him the bike. It wouldn't be worth shooting someone for just takeing your ride. The gun is a whole different story.
I feel weather you approve or not on the gun issue the bad guy will always have one.
My 2 cents
BT

Old 08-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...

I've been in more controlled situations were we unslung, but it's a very different thing to have the same situation on the street with your wife.

In that situation there wasn't much else to do. As I don't carry, my two options would have been to give up the bike and hope that went well, or pass the first car and hope for the best.

In Canada I can't legally carry as a civilian. For that reason alone I won't. For me the likelihood of having problems because I was carrying are higher than if I weren't.

Cheers,
woot.

Good call on asking the admins - I apologize for not... as an admin elsewhere I should have known better.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 PM

i've never even thought what i would do in that kind of situation, in Australia, people just dont have guns. if somebody pulled a gun, it would be healine on the news that night. i dont really like the idea of people carrying guns, its too easy to loose your temper or to let things blow out of propportion. i understand how different the situations in each country are though

Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 PM

Like it was already said the bad guy often has one and the best defense is education next year I will be purchasing my first hand gun and plan on getting a concealed permit. I also hope to get a class 3 license but thatll cost some $. I prefer single shot rifles. Somethign about accuracy from a distance that is so cool. Gimme a barret m-82

Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 PM

Help me understand the laws where you are. Do I understand wright that you cannot even have a firearm in your home? Maybe something for hunting? Will your governments come check your homes or how does it work? I sometimes go onto the GlockTalk web site and it even scares me what some of the I call them red necks say on the CCW forum. Most are just red necks like me but some, well. They have taken their carry classes and passed. Gone threw all you need to do as far a background checks and were issued their carry permitt. Then some not all go off the deep end. They start telling about the 45 they carry in a belt holster, another in an ankle holster and maybe another back up some place else. Then they talk about the neck knife they have if all else fails. Since we do have the wright to keep and bear arms here I sure wish there was some way to weed out the parinoid but legal gun toten cowboys we have here. I think the few of these guys are the ones you hear about.
Anyway, please fill me in as much as you can on your gun laws.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 PM

I carry my XD45acp every time I ride.

I have seen too many instances where some a$$hole thinks that a rider is a glutant for punishment.

Even here in CA, where we taught to have good gun control, there are still plenty of instances where the ability to have a defensive weapon are called upon.

But maybe I'm just bitter from riding for more than 30 years.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 PM

I sure hope you have a ccw when you carry while you ride. I understand having a gun with you makes you feel safer but unless someone is offering to kill you and or beat your *** and is a true threat, I think it would be felony stupid just to wip out a firearm to scare someone off. I'm not judging just my 2 cents. By the way the Springfield XD 45 is one of the finest hand guns made.
Be safe and shoot straight.
BT
ORIGINAL: outfox

I carry my XD45acp every time I ride.

I have seen too many instances where some a$$hole thinks that a rider is a glutant for punishment.

Even here in CA, where we taught to have good gun control, there are still plenty of instances where the ability to have a defensive weapon are called upon.

But maybe I'm just bitter from riding for more than 30 years.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM

very interesting story and in your case u were totally justified in pulling, i would have done the same but i don't own a gun. the reason i don't own a gun is for my own protection, you see i'm a hot head and i know i would shoot somebody and not have as much control as you. the difference between me and other hot heads with guns is that i know my own weakness and therefore i don't want to own a gun. i am also a believer that if it's your time to go it's your time, wether you get shot or a freak accident happens. i am the type of person that has a 'live and let live attitude' if you want to carry a gun that's fine with me, i don't just go around stealing or bullying people, i'm pretty sure that people with CCW won't shoot me because i won't give them a reason to. so i'm not afraid. and no guns aren't responsible for violence and hate.

ORIGINAL: BackTalk

Here's my deal. I have had a CCW for over 30 years now. Got it when I first got on the fire dept. I carry a Glock G30 which is a small 45acp. I put it on just like you put on your pants every morning and don't even think about it. In all those years I have only pulled it 3 times. Once my wife and I were behind a car at a stop lite. The light turned green and the guy just set there and let the light turn red again. It was about 2 in the morning and no other cars around. I saw him pull a gun from his waist area as he got out and walked toward us. At that point another car pulled up behind me and I couldn't get my bike out. Yea a Harley at that time. I went on alert and pulled my 45 and put it low in my lap at the same time my wife did the same. The guy behind us yelled get off the bike it's mine now. It would not be a threat if someone was just going to take my bike or just car jack your car, but the gun was a threat to my wife and to me. I put the red laser dot wright on the forhead of the guy with the gun. The guy comming up from behind was greeted with my wife's 2" 357 mag and the threat was over. They hauled *** but we were able to get both lic. numbers and they were caught at a 7/11 store about 6 blocks away. I have no idea what would have happened to us had we not been carring. If you think I wouldn't have fired you need to think again. If it weren't for the gun the first bad guy had I would have given him the bike. It wouldn't be worth shooting someone for just takeing your ride. The gun is a whole different story.
I feel weather you approve or not on the gun issue the bad guy will always have one.
My 2 cents
BT

Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM
oNi

Wow, me and my brother were having a conversation about this the other day. We were jokingly talking about how its a good thing we dont have guns because like javscbr mentioned, we are hotheads and there are times driving in our cars where we get so heated and feel like shooting this a-hole on the road for driving like a total arsehat and actual say that if we had a gun we probably would have shot that person, however, after the incident we calm down and realize we really wouldn't have wanted to shoot them at all. I personally don't own a gun but actually am talking with my friend who is a cop about getting one and a concealed permit etc. because where I live/work there are some really criminal minded people around and a close friend of mine got carjacked a couple months back in almost the same fashion that as backtalk described, except he was alone at night and just getting into his car when an suv pulled up with a couple of people from behind and jacked him for his car/possesions but didn't actually harm him. It's incidents like these that happen too often where I work and travel around at that make me feel like having a gun for protection would be to my benefit. Besides going to the shooting range once with my friend, I have no experience with guns, I plan on educating myself and was suprised to find out from my cop friend that as long as I'm over 21 with no prior felonies, I can actually goto wal-mart or some other gun shop and get a quick background check and buy a gun. I for some reason thought you had to have some type of permit to buy a gun here in VA at least which you would obtain after taking some sort of weapons safety class like MSF classes are for bikes. Regardless I plan on being responsible minded with it if I do end up getting one and getting educated on it and only use it in a situation that I would have to defend myself to where it called for it, I honestly can say I won't brandish or shoot someone just because they caused me road rage, etc.

Quick Reply: GUN DEBATE Please read before you jump in.