Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

got a ticket today :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every other day someone on here posts about getting a ticket and fighting it. I hope to god none of them actually waste their time. Consider it a lesson learned, pay it and move on.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM

+1 on paying the ticket. In this situation you won't be able to have them drop the ticket. The officer will bring all kinds of documents showing that the gun was in fine state and the speed will remain 52 as he got you. Don't waste your time for courts.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay a traffic ticket attorney to get it reduced to a non-moving violation rather than simply pay the speeding fine. It'll cost a bit more up front but you'll understand why if you just pay it and later see how your insurance premiums skyrocket if you have a speeding violation on your record.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Here in IL you can get probation and your insurance will never know so your rates don't go up

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay the ticket and go to traffic school to remove the point.Insurance will never know.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator - Retired

Here in PA, I've plead not guilty and had a chat with the officer and asked for a lesser charge. I've done it twice, and both times they let me off with the charge of "failure to obey a traffic control device" instead of "excessive speed".
The fines were about 1/2 as much with the lesser charge and no points/insurance hikes.

Maybe you could look into something similar? I'm not sure how your state works. Was it a local cop? I'd ask around locally to your buds or something and see if they've heard of anything.

The first time I did it was a little strange. The cop was like "WTF are you doing here" and I said "Sir, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and maybe work with me on the charges. I drive for work, and I REALLY don't need points on my license".
He said "If you can pay the fine today, we'll see what we can do" and that was it. We did it in the lobby of a township building. He went in and told the clerk lady that he wanted the charge lessened to "failure to obey a traffic control device" and the fine was like $68 total with no points.

Just a thought.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 01-16-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Here in PA, I've plead not guilty and had a chat with the officer and asked for a lesser charge. I've done it twice, and both times they let me off with the charge of "failure to obey a traffic control device" instead of "excessive speed".
The fines were about 1/2 as much with the lesser charge and no points/insurance hikes.

Maybe you could look into something similar? I'm not sure how your state works. Was it a local cop? I'd ask around locally to your buds or something and see if they've heard of anything.

The first time I did it was a little strange. The cop was like "WTF are you doing here" and I said "Sir, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and maybe work with me on the charges. I drive for work, and I REALLY don't need points on my license".
He said "If you can pay the fine today, we'll see what we can do" and that was it. We did it in the lobby of a township building. He went in and told the clerk lady that he wanted the charge lessened to "failure to obey a traffic control device" and the fine was like $68 total with no points.

Just a thought.
Wow. How can I get a hold of the officer before the hearing?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 AM

The officer's name and badge number should be on the ticket and the municipality's contact info should be on the back.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by raylee
The officer's name and badge number should be on the ticket and the municipality's contact info should be on the back.
I got his name. The ticket says "serial no" after his name. is that his badge number? as far as getting in touch with him.. how would i do it? there is a number on the back of the ticket.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 AM

If it's a local cop, it should be as easy as calling the municipal court number and asking what times that officer is available after explaining the situation. Don't say you're trying to get yourself a reduced sentence or anything, if they ask you why, just say you're looking for clarification. The serial number can either be the serial number of the ticket or the badge number, but really the name is all you need.

BE NICE AND KEEP A CIVIL TONGUE NO MATTER HOW MUCH OF A RUN-AROUND THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU. I don't normally type in caps, but you are at their mercy and they might be a bit dickheaded to you since they're all so damned busy all the time.

If it was a state trooper that gave you the ticket, there's a good chance you won't get the chance to talk to him since you'll get the municipal court and have to find him at his local barracks and that could take a long time.

Quick Reply: got a ticket today :(