Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)

Actually that's not entirely true...at least not in my experience....My dad got a speeding ticket in N.C. (we live in TN) and about 2 years later he got notice from the insurance company that his rates were going up cause he got a speeding ticket in Greedyville, NC. (greenville)....yeah no lie he mailed the check to greedyville and it never came back ...lol.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know some people have said they got off b/c the cop wrote the wrong address or street the offense occurred on, but IDK if its true or not. I looked for advice from a police question site once, the guy said "I didn't see you state you didn't commit the offense. Quit trying to get out of the ticket and just pay it." I for one would take every chance I had to have a ticket dismissed, but IDK. Here in SA you have to wait to see a judge, regardless if you are just paying the ticket. Wait to be called, wait to see judge, wait to pay clerk. 2 hours to pay a ticket.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR76

If that's all you have to offer in way of a defense I suggest taking a driver's improvement course before your court date. Depending on the judge he could give it consideration or simply shrug and ask if you have anything else to add before he renders his decision. I know that right now you're clinging to any shred of hope of getting out of this ticket and rightly so..I would be too After having suffered through countless court dates and having written over 3,000 citations in the last two years I was on the road I made plenty of mistakes. I'monly human.What actually matters is that I caught them before I testified and gave the correction to the judge.As far asthe officer writing 55 in a 71mph zone..it could go either way. Some judges are like Mr. Robinson and give you a warm & fuzzy and will lean your way. Others are the fire & brimstone type and would lock you up for doing 10 over if they could. I had one extremely liberal judge who would dismiss a ticket for the most minor of mistakes (wrong year of the vehicle) and another that could care less if the citation was written on a napkin...in crayon.

Whatever it ends up being I have two suggestions..

1. Get a lawyer. Yes, we all make our jokes about lawyers but please believe me when I say that a lawyer, specifically a good one, is worth their weight in gold. If I had an extra $10K laying around the first thing I'd do is put one on retainer. Even if your case is hopeless you have a chance of getting the speed reduced or even thrown out. Strangely enough quite a few defense attorneys and police officers are good friends, maybe not drinking buddies, but there is mutual respect. There were one or two lawyers I knew that I thought very highly of and they had a reputation for being straight up and ethical. They would occasionally come to me, let me know who they were representing, and ask if I could give their client any consideration.Personally, I'd never reduce a speed, but if I checked my notes and there were no notations about them being an idiot or belligerent I was willing to ask the judge for leniency on their behalf. 9/10 times thejudge would agree. If you hire a well-known weasel no officer will give him or her the time of day.Talk to any officers you know and anyone you know that got a citation and hired a lawyer. Get references and do your homework. Don't waste your time reading the how-to-beat-a-ticket sites where they tell you to drop a ball in court and ask the officer how fast it was traveling. You will only **** off the judge and get laughed at by everyone in the courtroom. Trust me, I've seen it enough times to where its not even funny anymore.

2. DO NOT get another citation between now and your court date. People were this close [] to getting a break until the judge's clerk pulled up out of the system thatthey received another citation two weeks after they recieved the one that they were appearing for that day. Two words to describe the situation at that point: not good.

EDITED TO ADD: If you happen to have an identical twin..bring him to court and have him at the defense table with you and have your lawyer ask the officer if he can positively identify which of you was operating the vehicle on the date of the violation. Game over. Happened to me once and I had to laugh.
+1, good to have some honest advice from an officer. I fought an "improper pass" ticket last year and got out of it because I just happened to meet a friend of mine at the courthouse who is a lawyer and after explaining the situation he decided to represent me on the spot for free...

My plan was to talk to the DA before the proceedings started but they were no where to be found, glad i didnt have to go on the stand by myself haha. Whatever you do,good luck! Like you said, worst case scenario is that you'll have to pay the fine you already owe

Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 PM

As a State Trooper, I'll tell you the best way to beat this ticket. Simply bring a friend of the same or about the same height, weight and age and ask the officer if he can identify which one of you was the driver. Chances are he writes so many tickets a month he wont ever remember you, however an attorney wont hurt.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Just thought I'd throw this in there: you can't exactly bank on the cop not showing up. A few years ago, I got a careless driving for doing donuts in the snow; took it to court and the cop didn't show up. Ten minutes after he was supposed to show up, he calls in and has the appointment delayed by a half hour so he could be there. yeah, the dude was a *****

*as a side note, I have no problems with leo's... some of the coolest people I know are cops. I just hate douchebags.*

Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Va600F4I

As a State Trooper, I'll tell you the best way to beat this ticket. Simply bring a friend of the same or about the same height, weight and age and ask the officer if he can identify which one of you was the driver. Chances are he writes so many tickets a month he wont ever remember you, however an attorney wont hurt.
Uhh, when the judge calls him up, and he walks up then motions for a friend to come up...who do you think i'm gonna pick I stopped?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM

I don't know how it works in other states, but here is MD, if you show up on the court date, and the officer is NOT PRESENT, they automatically throw your case out, not court fees, no nothing.

I have gotten several speeding tickets since I have moved here and ALL of them have been thrown out due to the officer not showing up.

I assume that the cop assumed I would justpay the fine and opt out ofa court date like the rest of the population that gets a ticket, so he didn't bother showing up. I guess they just write tickets to make money around here.

I would say show up at court and see what happens.