Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

NC Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Speeding Ticket

I received a speeding ticket today for 61 in a 35. I was speeding but i do not believe that i was going 61. The Cop was in the on coming lane with a car in front of him. Once i saw him turn around into my lane i knew i was in trouble. He showed me the radar detector and it read him as 14 and me as 61. I was under the impression that it was at least a 45 speed limit zone. I am not saying that i was not speeding but not by the amount that the cop is stating. This is my first speeding ticket and I am not really sure how this is going to work. I looked into NC law and found that if you are speeding over 55 you can have you license revoked for 30 days and you must go to court no fine option. My questions is that for my motorcycle endorsement or license in general? My court date is over months away. Is there any way to fight this prior to the court date or get it thrown out? Is a lawyer worth it? Any advice besides the obvious of don't speed will be appreciated.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NC Speeding Ticket

just pay it. A lawyer will cost a grand or more n the ticket will be less than 500 most likely.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM

depends on what county you where in i would most def get a lawyer and no there is no way posible to fight it before the court date. inless you take it to the magerist an get them to knock the speed down to just a fine but you eould have to pay it right then an there. also i dont see them being to hard on you considering its your first afence, u could use a PJC if you still have any

Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 PM

PJC?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM

prayer of jugdement you get two like every 10 or 15 years or something like that, its pretty much a you f@@k up but well let you slide with court costs

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

I lived in NC for 6 years. If you get a lawyer the court will drop the ticket. So you can pay a few hundred to a lawyer and get it dropped or you can pay a few hundred for the ticket and then have to worry about your insurance going up, points on you license, possible suspension. I know a guy who got a DUI, got a lawyer and the court dropped the case. Its pretty much a guarantee that it will get dropped.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tomp

I lived in NC for 6 years. If you get a lawyer the court will drop the ticket. So you can pay a few hundred to a lawyer and get it dropped or you can pay a few hundred for the ticket and then have to worry about your insurance going up, points on you license, possible suspension. I know a guy who got a DUI, got a lawyer and the court dropped the case. Its pretty much a guarantee that it will get dropped.
bad chain of thought there lol. There are no guarantees.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 AM

Im not exactly sure how the radar works but wouldnt he have to subtract his speed from your speed to get the actual speed or is it dont automatically?

What I mean is if he is going 14 and he reads you going at 61 in the opposite direction, then doesnt that mean that you are going at 47 if he had to read you on the radar if he was stationary?

http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt2/ch2d1.html

Just a thought...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 AM

Yeah, it is done automatically with some radar guns.. but it would depend on if the guy had it set right. Everyone can make mistakes. I remember me and 2 friends got written up for the exact same thing and the officer mispellt 3 words on each citation, and he mispellt them a different way each time so who knows, maybe he had the radar set improperly. I know that if his gun hasn't been calibrated in x days for that simply the ticket can be thrown out and he would need to get the gun recalibrated. Otherwise, you were booking it dude

Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 AM

So I guess if you wanna go up against the popo, you have to have your **** in order. Proving a police officer is incompetent is like playing Russian Roulette, it might not go your way and then you are in a world of crap.

Quick Reply: NC Speeding Ticket