Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First speeding ticket...

So I was at the library with the girl the other day, and it was beautiful out so I took my bike, naturally..

Well at midnight we decide to go home. We both had large backpacks so I was going to go drop mine off then come back to pick her up.
On my way to drop of my backpack, I got pulled over going 39 in the 25. I really didn't think I was going that fast, as I usually sit at about 33 tops but didn't think to ask to see the radar. The cop said "I could hear you coming before you came around that bend and I have no idea how fast you were going then".. well, its midnight with no other noise happening.. around buildings that echo.. yea you probably could..

So $175 and 4 points is what it rang up to..
My question is should I bother with going to the court date?

I was told if I go in and plea "No contest", I can then just explain myself (There was nobody else on the road and I wasn't paying much attention to my speed trying to get home to drop off my backpack and get back as soon as I could).... and possibly get some points back?

The fine is whatever, I just hate losing 4 points over something so stupid.

Any opinions are more than welcome. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

does wisconsin have a "traffic school" program to keep the points off your record? if not, i'd fight it, you have nothing to loose. maybe the judge will see that 39mph is not worthy of all those points.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

I am not sure but it is definitely something I would be willing to look into. Although my license is Michigan, would it still be a Wisconsin school since it was a Wisconsin citation?

Would I call the court to figure this out or..?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

since you citation is in wisconsin, i would think you need to deal with the wisconsin court. look online or call the court.

maybe one of our wisconsin members will have exact information for you.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Bring it to court!

I've never gotten a ticket or even pulled over actually... *knock on wood*

But the one thing I know is, nothing bad can come from taking it to court! I know that sometimes the cops can't show up for the court date and then it get's thrown out completely, no fine, no points etc...Not sure if your area is the same though, but that could happen to you, you never know!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM

ALWAYYYYS go to court.

But don't plead no contest. Always say innocent. That way the judge has more leeway with you.

Just be polite, explain yourself, show your spotless driving record (have this printed out), explain your respect for the laws etc and ask for a break.

9 times out of 10 they'll give it to you.

even if they just bust down the miles to a non point offense its way worth it.

Worse comes to worse you just pay it and nothing good happened.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM

BS Ticket, I got one (In a car) where you got a two lane straight road that stretches for miles and the speed limit changes from 45 to 30 for some reason and the cop pulled me over as soon as I entered the 30zone he got me doing 51 -,-

Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 AM

yeah definitely go to court and talk to the prosecutor. In nj with tickets like that you can plead down one like every year or every 6 months or something so you get no points but you just end up paying a couple hundred more for the fine. Its worth it in the long run over the insurance premiums that the points will cost you. If youve got a clean or pretty clean record youll definitely be able to get those points dropped or reduced but you just might have to pony up a little more cash for some fines.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Yep, go to court and plead innocent. Then they have to give you another court date where the cop has to show up and show them the proof that you were going 39. Half the time, cops don't show up and the case get dropped. Well, that's how it works in Hawaii.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Traffic school if available (Altho the officer typically would have mentioned it if its an option there).

I don't know about fighting it, I've seem them go both ways depending on the mood of the judge. If you do fight, you WERE doing the speed limit last time you looked down. You have no idea why you got pulled over.

IDK. I guess it depends how much your time is worth.

Good Luck either way.

Quick Reply: First speeding ticket...