Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gear Position Indicator: Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Gear Position Indicator: Yes/No?

So I was reading a review of this years CBR 600. One of the dings they gave it was the lack of gear position indicator. That got me to wondering, why so many people love them?
I've never wanted or felt the need to have one. Then again, I've never owned a bike or any other vehicle with one. What am I missing?

Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

First gear indicators, then cup holders....
I see them as bells and whistles to add a few bucks and appeal to new buyers that don't know that they don't need it. Really, in a manual car, how often does anyone look at the shift pattern diagram????

The only thing I ever wished I had was a real fuel gauge.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

That's kinda my point. I've seen posts on here from time to time talking about them and I never have understood the draw. TBH, unless I am really wringing it out I don't pay attention to the tach. I've always just gone by sound and feel. I have however as I've gotten old paid attention to the speedometer.

To the fuel gauge thing, I don't get why that is so hard to incorporate. I've had lawnmowers that had fuel gauges but for some reason it's too hard to put one on a sport bike.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I go by the tach. When in top gear, the speedo needle matches the tach needle.
Other than that, if I need to go down a gear I go down a gear, same as going up.

The bike rags can't knock the bike they review to much because the manufacture is also a sponsor. Flip the page and there it is. So, they pick on it for something simple.
I have read a few reviews where they compare similar bikes and the bottom line is, 'We will pass on the bike X because it doesn't have provisions for a quick shifter'.
So I guess the readers are going to pass on a bike because they can't jam every single gear shift while riding to work and back?

On the other hand, the reviews on the 2018 Goldwing are saying the DCT transmission is the way to go.
My feelings on that are, it has cruise, so why not. Hop on the hi-way and let it pick the gears.
I guy I ride with (71 yrs old, small frame) says you need to pick riding mode when needed. He was in touring mode when going up a long driveway with a bend to the right, slightly off camber. He twisted the throttle, the bike dogged and it dropped to the inside. He said, if he had been in sport mode, it would pulled out of the situation and he wouldn't have dropped it.
So, even with auto, you still need to ride it. Some common sense is always welcome.

"To the fuel gauge thing, I don't get why that is so hard to incorporate. I've had lawnmowers that had fuel gauges but for some reason it's too hard to put one on a sport bike."
I don't get it either. How about a sight glass, coffee dispensers have them.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-15-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Really, in a manual car, how often does anyone look at the shift pattern diagram????
I don't think this is a good comparison because as soon as you put your hand down, you know what gear you're in, and it's pretty consistent between cars.

On a bike, the only way to know (other than counting) is RPM vs speed, and then it's only for that particular bike. You can't feel the shifter and know it's in a certain gear.
I put maybe 1000km/year across both bikes and I can't tell what gear I'm in most of the time unless I count.
On back roads, I eventually forget or stop counting because I just shift up/down depending on pace.

The time this would be really nice is coming to a stop, so I don't end up downshifting 2-1 when I think I'm going 3-2.
2-1 isn't that bad on my F4 because first gear is really long, but on my lower displacement bike, first gear is super short so it's pretty unpleasant. It would be nice to avoid this though.

I think it would be a nice thing for someone who rides infrequently, or has a bunch of different bikes, or is just unfamiliar with that particular bike.

100% would rather have a fuel gauge first though.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

You made the comment that RPM vs. speed is the only way and it's different for every bike. That is true, (kind of), don't forget gearing. But it's that way on every vehicle. Even on the back roads, what difference does make what gear you are actually in if your tach is at the appropriate RPM for the speed in which you are riding?

Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
You made the comment that RPM vs. speed is the only way and it's different for every bike. That is true, (kind of), don't forget gearing.
RPM vs speed is gearing.

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Even on the back roads, what difference does make what gear you are actually in if your tach is at the appropriate RPM for the speed in which you are riding?
Exactly, it doesn't make a difference until coming to a stop. Just to avoid a jerky 2-1 shift.

If I knew those cheap ebay ones were compatible with the F4, I'd take the $30 plunge.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Northern
RPM vs speed is gearing..
I did not men 1st, 2nd gear etc.. I meant transmission, rear end, front and rear sprocket, etc. gearing.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:11 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

When I first started riding, I would have found it useful. Some examples that come to mind: 1. There are always moments when I thought I clicked down to first at a stop, only to try pulling away in second and stall or lug the engine, 2. I've lost count of upshifts under hard acceleration and tried to go from sixth to "seventh", and 3. downshifting under hard braking, only to have the engine rev up and slow the rear much faster than I wanted or needed, mostly going from third to second. As I've learned the bike though, I've gotten better at "reading" it and it helps me stay focused instead of relying on an "aid"...

Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a gear indicator on a couple of bikes and was happy to have one but don't miss not having one on my F3. I definitely wouldn't be adding anything to the dash or bars, I like the simplicity.