Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

fun factor

Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun factor

I rode a buddies old CB750 (I think it was a 750) this old, goofy dinasaur of a bike the other day. It was the most fun I have had in ages. He had completely restored it, beautiful bike. Anyways, the thing scoots along really well, but what I was most impredded with was how easy it was to ride, getting into corners and all, it would warn you lightyears ahead if you were pushing it too hard, shaking handlebars, tire slide so on, to the point where you couldn't push it too hard to dump it unless you tried to get stupid on it. I have been looking on CL for something similair, and found many in the 1500-2K price range of nice looking older bikes. Anyone ever have a spot for oldies but goodies, the thing was a HOOT to ride. Something to take out and simply ride without constantly policing your every move for performance, just to cruise along and enjoy the ride? I equate this experience to other hobbies I have. I do a good bit of shooting, I have many super high-end pistols and rifles thats cost a good fraction of my bike, but my all time stand-by favorites are an old beat-up model 60 .22 and an old single six flat-top pistol. Just something so simple and fun about them thats always fun. Anyways, I'm ignorant to allot about motorcycles, and even more so to the older bikes. Whats a good ole dependable fun bike that still has a good parts selection for restoration and repairs that won't cost me allot for a fun project? I looked at allot of older CB's, they look simple, classy and most of all fun. Any ideas or comments?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Default RE: fun factor

Absolutly a dope bike just to ride. If it came with a P-twin I'd be looking to make a cafe racer out of one. But they really are just a sik bike just to ride even if people don't like the way they look.
To anwser your Q, a CB1 I4, CB400 I4, CB 500 P-twin, or CB 350 P-twin but other than Hondas I really not much good to ya with the other older Japanese or older euro standards.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:08 AM

i have 2 1978 cb750s in the garage right this minute, they definetely are a blast. they are referred to very regularly as the birth of the modern superbike. the first was my dad's which we had to bring back from the dead a couple years ago, basically had to rebuild everything that had ever had gas in it (the bike was sitting in the garage for 15 years). the other cb was bought from a guy in baton rouge, it did not run, and was a dirty old ****bucket. pops and i stripped it clean, sandblasted and painted the frame and everything else that was black (took forever but it's gorgeous) i did a leakdown test which told me the top end was the problem, so i tore the cylinder heads down, replaced all the valves, springs guides, stem seals, lapped the seats, and checked all the clearances against the service manual. pops rebuilt the carbs, suspension, we had to replace the seat, the headlight, handlebars, and odds and ends. all of this took place over a couple weeks, whenever we had the time, the bike itself cost $300, and all total, the bike as it is now ( basically looking and running brand new) is in the neighborhood of $1300, WELL worth it in my opinion.

if you're really interested, i suggest you poke around at http://www.sohc4.us/ its dedicated specifically to honda's form the 60s to early 80s

also, heres some pics of a 76 cb500 I4 i came across while i was working uptown (if i can get off my *** and go back, it'll be mine)

Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 AM

really thinking of getting one for something to tool on. Where the hell do you get parts for these things?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

really thinking of getting one for something to tool on. Where the hell do you get parts for these things?
*sometimes* honda dealers will carry this bolt, or that fitting, but its rare, there are a lot of aftermarket parts manufacturers who replicate the cb750 parts, as they are pretty popular, from footpegs, to engine internals. and like with anything else, ebay is where it's at