Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which foot do you put down at a light?
Left foot
45.65%
Right foot
6.52%
Both feet
45.65%
None. I can perfectly balance my bike while motionless for hours!
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which foot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually do both ... since I am often riding briskly and coming to a stop at a pace I will often need to tap dance on the gear lever right before the wheels stop turning, because of this I tend to put my right foot down first ... if the stop is short or I know it won't be long I put the bike in first and ready to shoot off the moment I can ... if it looks like it will be a few minutes I put the bike in neutral, sit up to stretch my back and wrists and change feet so my right is over the rear brake

Jules

Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on whether I'm stopping on an incline. If it's a level surface I'll put it in neutral and sit up and keep my right foot down so I can shift into 1st when I see the light about ready to change. If I'm on a hill I'll leave it in gear and keep my right foot on the brake.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both. I think if I were a bit shorter and it were a bigger stretch I'd probably find a side and stick with it but at 6'2" with a nice thin F3 seat I can comfortably put both feet on the ground where I'm a bit cramped up if I have a foot on a peg while sitting upright.

I do have a bad habit of putting my bike in neutral as I'm rolling up to the stop that I need to kill.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Left foot except...
If I stop just when the lights go red, then I put my left foot down, then right, slip into neutral, then my left foot goes down again and right foot on the brake.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM

both feet so i can drag them as i leave

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM

I was out earlier today so I gave it some thought as I was at lights. It is definitely more comfortable for me as a tall guy to set both feet flat on the ground and sit up. I will lean it over and tap the rear brake if I'm on an incline but otherwise I tend to flat foot on both feet.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wasn't expecting this type of response. And the near dead even between left foot vs 2 feet.

Having gone thru both MSF courses, I know what they teach you. And also know some of that is pure rote. Like the instructor insisting I use 4 finger to cover the front brake vs the 2 finger + throttle method I'm used to and comfortable with. During both the BRC & ERC they insisted on both feet down, leaving the bike in gear and covering the front brake at stops. But that leaves me feeling awkward and unprepared.

The "what if you step into something slippery" would be a good point if I didn't put my full weight down before 'testing' the surface. And the fact that if I were that precariously balanced, both feet down likely wouldn't make a difference. If the foot slips, you're gonna fall cause you were putting weight on it already.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I really wasn't expecting this type of response. And the near dead even between left foot vs 2 feet.

Having gone thru both MSF courses, I know what they teach you. And also know some of that is pure rote. Like the instructor insisting I use 4 finger to cover the front brake vs the 2 finger + throttle method I'm used to and comfortable with. During both the BRC & ERC they insisted on both feet down, leaving the bike in gear and covering the front brake at stops. But that leaves me feeling awkward and unprepared.

The "what if you step into something slippery" would be a good point if I didn't put my full weight down before 'testing' the surface. And the fact that if I were that precariously balanced, both feet down likely wouldn't make a difference. If the foot slips, you're gonna fall cause you were putting weight on it already.
I'm mostly just surprised I'm the only one with Perfect Balance on this site.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We settled that already. Having your fiancée hold you up doesn't count

Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Remember they teach for the masses, and they don't really teach for sportbike techniques. I have shorty levers, I can't even get 4 fingers on the lever! The two on lever and two on throttle gives much better control. With both feet down and in gear on any slope, you have to cover (engage/pull) both brake and clutch. I'd like to relax a little, at least with my right hand!

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
I'm mostly just surprised I'm the only one with Perfect Balance on this site.
I like to do a hand-stand while I'm waiting and have my camel-back gravity flow it's cooling waters into my parched mouth from the grueling Texas heat.

Seriously, I tend to do the left foot.

Quick Reply: Which foot?