Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

first timer jidders

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first timer jidders

One of my first rides on my 600 brought me to a hardware store to buy a lock for my tool box. It was just a ride a couple blocks away too. I went to pull out my cash though and hand it to the clerk and i noticed i was "jittering" like i had cerebral palsey or something. Just shakin like a wino after a two week binge looking for my next drink.

I had to take a step back and breath. When i am riding that machine i notice that every sense i have seems to be heightened and my mind seems to think faster also. I think that the only way to maintain composure and let your reflexes handle the changes is too ride moderately and consecutively until it starts to become a sort of sixth sense. Ease into it. Become one with the machine.
I personally do not even have 100miles on my bike yet because i dont have my licence but i would say that if you have the means to get comfortable, safely, the ends would be confidence and steady thinking when on a bike.

If i were you i would spend as much time as possible cruising and just getting to know the bike before even going into 4rth.
Then of course, step it up and try higher speeds.

What i am trying to say is: start small. Baby steps.

I am probably blessed that i do not have my licence yet because knowing my gonads and what i thirst for; it is a very likely possibility that my CBR would have been dropped by now.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM

lol, anyone see this post and think "blkout"? haha
it's all been said man, take it slow, don't overestimate yourself, and never underestimate the engine under you

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 PM

+100 on everything already said.

Its kind of like the ol saying goes... the only riders out there are the ones that have been down, and the ones that are going to go down.

But, judging from your concerns. Im sure you'll be fine. The ones that usually go down are the ones that do not respect the bike. You may have too much respect and fear yours right now, but you'll overcome that.

Be careful when you first get comfortable. thats usually when accidents happen.

Also, just for piece of mind. I started out on a 600 in 98, been riding ever since. I've never been down.. I tipped my 600 over while turning around once, but that was due to inexperience and it can happen. ...... oh crap....... ah... heres some wood....( knocks on wood)..

Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 PM

wow thanks everyone!!!!!![sm=thanx.gif]just by reading everthing i feel more confident already! and when it comes time to ride ill remember what everyone has said.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 PM

I am a new rider 3months in I took the MSF course (beginer & advanced) definitly worth it! I have put on about 3500 miles so enjoy but take it slow.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may wish to consider this......
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ays/index.html

They say it better than I could...........

One other tip:
If you wear shoes with laces, make sure the loops are small, so they don't loop over your gearshift/brake.......and when you stop, feet won't go down......happened to me - twice !
I doubleknot mine.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gimme the bike and watch me ride for few months or years perhaps. Your nervousness will ease off by then.

J/K.. All the above advices will definitely help you. All the best and gud luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM

+1 On the MSF course, It might seem a bit expensive. But think of it this way, every time you drop your bike it's going to be at least 1000 bucks to fix it. Do you want to risk that learning the basic stuff like shifting etc?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM

I started riding a couple weeks ago.

Took the MSF course, knew manual so I didnt have to worry about thinking how to operate the clutch.

Other then that, my first ride...was AMAZING! took the side streets around and around.

got a little cocky, and went on the main road and almost hit a curb. then I decided to show the guys at work and leaving I dropped that sucker, just trying to turn it around, while it was off....No damage luckily! (Mind you this was all the first day!)

Other then that, put about 500 miles in on a week, just crusing around. I take my turns like a granny, but you have to learn somewhere!

and now its snowing

Quick Reply: first timer jidders