Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fighting with the stealerships...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

might be beating a dead horse here, i know it's tough to be wanting a bike and see bike(s) you like (and could afford) in the showroom, but they're just going to be overpriced. like 1-2g over fair market value. personally, i'd write the dealership off. i've been in the same spot myself -- i haven't been back in the honda dealer closest to me in ages because they just refuse to be even close to what i consider reasonable. and with 5 grand in cash you could find a heckuva bike in great shape from a private party.
if you want, you could leave an offer and your phone number with the dealer and tell them if they come to their senses in the next 2 weeks to give you a call, and maybe you won't have already found a better deal -- but DON'T contact them.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude u really think they tool the time to check it over? They never do. For 5k u can find a nice 600RR. It's been dropped and probably beat on. You don't know. U would be surprised hat u can find on craigslist. Just do ur self a favor ad take the time to look. I wouldn't settle for that with even 4k. Were all going to look out for u to keep u from spending your money and then regretting it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sheesh - no $3400 is what you should be paying for a decent
F4i - $3400 for a F3 is waaaaay too much unless it is perfect in every way - even then, still not really reasonable. Book retail is about $2K for that bike, and tradein is about $1300.

Dealerships like that don't do anything to a motorcycle that you cant check yourself on a private party sale.

I can understand a lot of places not allowing a test ride - lots of people that say "yeah I can ride" when it comes to taking a joyride on a bike, really have no skill.

Most (not all) private party sellers will let you ride if you've got cash. Hand over the cash, take your test ride, bring it back in one piece and you can do the deal or decide to pass and get your dollars back.

Let us know where you are - lots of us are plugged into craigslist and ebay and other boards always seeing deals.

$4K - 02 F4i (with the more desirable split seat setup - under 8K miles) looks clean, has most of the basic mods, comes with 2 helmets and a riding jacket (assuming they fit you) which saves you about $200-300 in gear you dont have to buy. Honda : CBR | eBay

Deals are out there- the place you're talking to isn't where to look for them.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Sheesh - no $3400 is what you should be paying for a decent
F4i - $3400 for a F3 is waaaaay too much unless it is perfect in every way - even then, still not really reasonable. Book retail is about $2K for that bike, and tradein is about $1300.

Dealerships like that don't do anything to a motorcycle that you cant check yourself on a private party sale.

I can understand a lot of places not allowing a test ride - lots of people that say "yeah I can ride" when it comes to taking a joyride on a bike, really have no skill.

Most (not all) private party sellers will let you ride if you've got cash. Hand over the cash, take your test ride, bring it back in one piece and you can do the deal or decide to pass and get your dollars back.

Let us know where you are - lots of us are plugged into craigslist and ebay and other boards always seeing deals.

$4K - 02 F4i (with the more desirable split seat setup - under 8K miles) looks clean, has most of the basic mods, comes with 2 helmets and a riding jacket (assuming they fit you) which saves you about $200-300 in gear you dont have to buy. Honda : CBR | eBay

Deals are out there- the place you're talking to isn't where to look for them.

listen to this guy. don't buy a bike from a dealership unless you are rich and buying new. 1997 F3 for $4,000 is a flippin rip off. don't know what else to say...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$3.4k for a F3? It'd better be a SJR in immaculate condition

Dude, seriously: sit on your hands for a month and check Craigslist daily. I think it took about 2-3 weeks of searching and emailing to grab my F4i. I prolly overpaid just a tad but Ororo was almost right off the showroom.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 AM

Sold This 96 F3 with harris grips, sprockets, tank gripper, D&D, new tires, clutch cable, flush mounts, windscreen, APE CCT, 16,102 miles, and bike cover for $2800 private. That i believe is a fair price for an f3. Thats my 2 cents on buying an f3 tho, i think it was fair.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM

These guys are taking you for a ride. Find someone else to deal with.

For 3400 Dollars you can have my F4i with <9k miles, I'll fill the tank to the brim, Give you 4 quarts of oil for the first oil change and put a hundred dollar bill under the seat.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Psshh i'm thinkin about takin ya up on that deal right there !!! ... just for the bill under the seat !!! ... lolol jp