Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fighting with the stealerships...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighting with the stealerships...

Hey guys (and gals?) I'm hoping maybe some of you can give me some pointers when it comes to buying a bike from a dealership.

I'm currently looking at this bike: Honda 2006 CBR®600F4i (CBR600F4i)
I requested a quote and they said $5285. The pictures show she's been down a few times and I only have $5000 to play with. I'm going down Saturday to hopefully take it for a test ride, and fall in love, and leave there with her.

That being said, you think I could talk them down to $4000, cold hard cash, and not a penny more? I did that with my car, and they made it work, I'm hoping this will play out just as well. I'm just not sure how realistic my offer is, or how to smoothly talk them down.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear lord run away. Don't talk them down to $4000, that's more than it's worth.
From KBB's retail pricing guide:
2006 Honda CBR600F4i Value
Send this page to a friend Email
Bookmark
May 12, 2011

* 4-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 599cc

Suggested Retail Value $4225

And it's been dropped more than once that you can tell from pics?

that's 600RR money - or 1KRR/954 money if you're looking in the right places.

If you have $5K cash - you can find a waaaaaay better deal than a beat up 06 F4i.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Oh - and the trade in value on that bike is only $2900. I'm willing to bet they paid a lot less than that due to its condition.

Look around - if you have cash - then private party's your best bet.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM

I know I should look for a private sale but I don't really want to take a chance that the bike might have problems with it, that they're not telling my about. I'd feel safer buyer from a dealer. Even if it means paying a bit more. Not to mention I'm impatient and really want something now.

Think it would be worth it to try to haggle them down more than $4000?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the dealership has bills to pay and it's still a good season to be a seller, so the list price will of course be high. but it can't hurt to low ball them (and have reasons why for your offer: use adrenalnjunky's input) and since you're talking with cash it'll help.

Originally Posted by ashedink
Not to mention I'm impatient and really want something now.
whatever you do, decide before hand what your limit is and stick to it -- be prepared to accept walking away if it doesn't work out. when ppl are there in the showroom they have a tendency to lose rational thought, and a good salesman can use that to make you accept spending more than you would have intended.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Yeah +1 on that not being a very good deal.

for 7k flat I got my 09 600rr with 1k miles and some parts (yoshi, fender elem, puig tint)

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM

" Fighting with the stealerships..."

Well there's your problem.

You should never need to fight with a dealership, they need YOUR business. If they're not willing to do what's needed to make the sale on your (reasonable) term walk out the door and find a business that wants your money.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're concerned about buying a lemon, insist on having the bike inspected by a quality mechanic before you buy it.

At the dealership's price, you could buy the bike for what it's worth, put in $1500 of new parts, and still be ahead.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Name:  IMG_0144.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  100.8 KB

Same bike, 1/3rd as many miles, never been down and I paid $4.5k. My advice: use craigslist, be patient and thoroughly inspect whatever you find. Tell the dealer kick rocks in a pair of sandals.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Plus - I seriously doubt the dealership has done a ton of work on a bike that rolled in in running condition. Wash it, check the fluids and crank it every once in a while if it sits for too long.

If the dealership is offering some sort of return period/limited warranty that might be one thing for piece of mind, but if not, and it sounds like you're a decent distance from them anyway, then with no service agreement - you're still buying "As Is - Where Is".

If $2900 is the avg trade in value, and Retail is $4200, I'd probably split the difference and shoot for around $3400-3800 cash money, assuming the drop damage doesn't look too severe.

I like how they advertised "New lower palstics" like it is a good thing. Would you buy a car that was advertised with 2 new front fenders, front bumper and hood as "features"?

Quick Reply: Fighting with the stealerships...