Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

educational/life question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default educational/life question

So I just finished school with a BA last May. Jobs are hard to find in these tough economic times, especially when you're not even sure what you wanna do. So I'm looking for some advice/insight. Should I stay at my job that I've had for almost seven years and continue my education by pursuing an MBA, or just be happy with my BA in liberal arts? Thing is if I stay and pursue more education I'll spend two more years at a dead end job where I'm not building any skills. I just wanna get into a white collar job and away from the blue collar sector and I'm sure an MBA would certainly help with that. Moreover, I wanna pursue a master's because it seems these days a bachelors degree isn't worth what it used to be...everybody's got one.

So what do you guys think?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Default RE: educational/life question

Education is a great tool, but I'd say do what you want to do. Wake up and enjoy going to work, enjoy your job and be happy. Most folks hate their job. I'd rather make 50K a year and enjoy my work than make 100K and loath getting up and going to work. Get all the education you can, and work that into a job that you'll be proud of and enjoy.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 PM

lol i just wanna be old enough to even be considered to have a "white collar job"

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Do whatever makes you happiest. nothing is worse than making great money but HATING getting up to go to work in the morning, when you could take less $ and LOVE working, sometimes so much so that you'll spend a few nights at work and not go home for a few days or so.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM

white collar? what is this mythical creature u speak of? lol. Go with what u can wake happy too most days, cause it does suck when u have a job u hate. [:'(]

Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Option #1: Pursue an MBA and stay at job, or
Option #2: Search for new job.
I say Option #3: Just do what makes you happiest. To me, it would make me happiest to continue my education. It's up to you, buddy.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 AM

Here's the catch, I like going to school and would love to go back...BUT I hate my job now. This job is cool because it allows me to go to school. I sat and though about it a lot tonight after I posted this and as much as I would like to go back to school it's just not worth it right now to stay at this job JUST for school. But I want to go back soooo bad.

BUT, Murphy is one of my best friends....soooo if I sign up and start taking the classes I will find a job right away, wasting the money invested. Alternatively, if I don't take classes I won't find a job fast enough and will beat myself up for not taking classes. Make sense so far? Now here's the kicker, I COULD try to do both and say screw the money, but I know myself, if I'm in school I won't try to find another job. I will just focus on school.

Oh, and did I mention...I have no idea what I'd do with an MBA except for bling out my resume...?!?!?!?!?!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 AM

a BA in liberal arts = Working at wallmart.

sorry it's true. I've had a few friends with the same degree. Even with a few more BA's. None of them could get a great job with them.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

a BA in liberal arts = Working at wallmart.

sorry it's true. I've had a few friends with the same degree. Even with a few more BA's. None of them could get a great job with them.
Good teachers are in demand practically everywhere and a liberal arts would prolly do the trick. Go for a PHD down the road and make principal and you could be bringing home $100K + . I only like my kids so that was never an option for me [8D]

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM

You can us a BA in Liberal arts to pursue Education, or Medicine or pretty much anything. A BA of Liberal arts is just a general study program, they don't even regulate what you need to study.
So on it's own it's completly worthless. But it's good to help you dicipline yourself, if you want to branch into something like Law.

Unless maybe your just bored of your job, and want to have a collage experiance?

Quick Reply: educational/life question