Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Droid X2

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just grabbed a Droid Charge. My Droid X has been great. In fact it was the first phone I've kept the entire 2 year contract. But the new phone itch finally got me and the Bionic is starting to take a Duke Nukem Forever feel to it.

Btw, if you guys aren't on unlimited data plans I suggest you go grab one NOW. VZW is going to tiered data plans and the prices aren't good (unlimited data almost cost what cable tv does... at non-employee prices). The start date on the tiered data is up in the air and VZW would have to announce it ahead of time before flipping the switch.

But it is coming in July and that's been confirmed: Verizon to end unlimited data option

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they grandfathering plans that carried it before?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
According to the article it sounds like you get to keep the unlimited plan until your current contract runs out, then you have to pick a new plan. So, if you can sign up for a new 2-year contract now, you can keep the unlimited plan for 2 more years.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm pretty sure they have to because you signed a contract saying that you will pay x amount for unlimited data so they can't just change that without you signing a new contract.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
According to the article it sounds like you get to keep the unlimited plan until your current contract runs out, then you have to pick a new plan. So, if you can sign up for a new 2-year contract now, you can keep the unlimited plan for 2 more years.
I am pretty sure you get to keep your current plan until you sign a new contract. I have not been on a contract with Verizon for 3 years. Once my 2 year contract ran out I never renewed it but my plan has always remained the same. Where they will get you is with the new every 2 program where if you sign new 2 year contact you get a good deal on a new phone. If you don't sign that contract your plan will remain the same.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Where they will get you is with the new every 2 program where if you sign new 2 year contact you get a good deal on a new phone. If you don't sign that contract your plan will remain the same.
That's a really good point, you could keep the same contract, but you would have to pay the MSRP price for new phones (or buy used ones). I guess at that point it would depend on how much more per month the data plan you want would cost over two years vs. the discount you get on a new phone with a 2 year contract.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
That's a really good point, you could keep the same contract, but you would have to pay the MSRP price for new phones (or buy used ones). I guess at that point it would depend on how much more per month the data plan you want would cost over two years vs. the discount you get on a new phone with a 2 year contract.
Exactly! Now I am lucky enough because my brother is a mechanical engineer for Motorola so I can't tell you the last time I paid for a phone which is why I have not signed a new contract for so long.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Exactly! Now I am lucky enough because my brother is a mechanical engineer for Motorola so I can't tell you the last time I paid for a phone which is why I have not signed a new contract for so long.
Hi Friend. Have I mentioned how much I love your bike.

And how cool you are

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the people that are off contract. I know they're grandfathers current unlimited. And if you renew after the switch they'll grandfather for a limited time. But vzw may demand people sign for a data plan.

Given the speeds i get on the Charge in my apartment they have to. If i didn't work for comcast i'd cancel my internet plan and use the wifi hotspot. I'm getting 40mbps down and 8mbps up. Not need for internet service that's slower and cost extra. But that'd murder the lte network if everyone did it.

This is in South Philly

Last edited by Kuroshio; 06-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Hi Friend. Have I mentioned how much I love your bike.

And how cool you are
How easy do you think I am

Quick Reply: Droid X2