Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dragon Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragon Write Up

OK so i wont go into long and boring details about how AWESOME my trip to NC to US 129 was ..sooo here it goes

I leave my house on saturday morning early as to beat the traffic out of the suburbs of Chicago and what do i see waiting for me out side but a constant drizzle .Im not so sure what i was thinking at the time but i just kept pressing on.I managed to get thru and thru soaked in 20 miles or so and the rain let up on the other side of Chicago just as the sun came up and the skies cleared.I veered off on 65 south and kept on trucking towards Indianaoplis and seemed to find another severe weather system waiting for me.I was almost totally dry and yet once again i was soaked but still i persevered.I got ahead of the storm no thanks to some nail biting speed in the rain and stopped at a rest area right out side of Indy about 100 miles.I had already affixed my useless rain covers over my Cortech saddlebags and one of them was totally destroyed. I guess they have never been speed tested...
So i shed the Alpine Drystars for some thinner gloves and took the Garmin out of my pocket and affixed it and loaded my destination..US 129...Deals Gap.After a quick fuel stop and a burger i was ready to chew up some miles...quickly..and i did just that...I managed to find a comfortable posistion on the seat in a crouch and motored around 95-100mph down 65 til Louisville.The GPS got me back on the beaten path after getting lost looking for fuel..what a night mare..One thing about trekkin on a sport bike is the fuel stops..as soon as i seen the low fuel light i looked for fuel...So i get re oriented and head out down 75 south for another 165 miles of scenic Kentucky hills at some point i stopped again for some pics of the hills and more gas.I found a speedster of a Jetta half way thru Kentucky so we ran around 130 and i tell ya..that Honda just kept on goin..i was in a full tuck and seen 140 but he had long backed off he waved me off and i kept on rollin.

It had been a pretty exhausting mornin riding all the way from Illinois to Tennesee but i was on my toes when i seen the sign that pointed towards US 129 south right off of 411.It was a lil curvy but nothing i hadnt seen back home so i began to wonder and then like a bolt of lightning I arrive at the over look ..The start of the Dragon...I had to picture this and stretch for i could sense the beginning of what i was there for.
I hit the start button and headed into the woods as the first set of turns just totally engulfed my senses as it took everything i had to focus after riding almost 10 hrs to get to where i was.

I can say that if i hadnt seen it with my own eyes i would of never imagined it would be like that but it was AMAZING.It was everything its been talked up to be but riding it made it even more intense.The turns are soo tight and they just keep coming one after another and another.Some of the turns are so tight it makes one wonder how cars nav thru there sometimes at speed.Ive crossed over now into NC and the roads are still smooth as my tires scream thru each turn...no more lean and for a moment i smile..ive done it and then another sharp left hander as i read the sign that says Deals Gap Lodge ahead..It was a Mecca for the motorcycle faithful.All shapes sizes and colors as well as makes and models in one spot for one simple reason...Taming The Dragon....I spent a good portion of 2 hrs sharing stories and takin a few pics.I was beyond tired when i headed down the moutain the 20 miles to my lodging and the roads all tho not as challenging as the Dragon were just as curvy.
I awoke Sunday with one goal in mind..ive gotta get up that mountain and ride that road all day.Another day on the Dragon yields yet another batch of great stories and wonderful people from all over the USA.There were a few unfortunate occasions where cyclists met in the middle but i think those people were admitted and released.I took a few pics of the Tree of Shame and a few m