New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

write off

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default write off

Hi everyone this is the first time iv looked at and used a forum. im 26 live in norfolk/England and been riding for bout 3 years.
Last week i had my first accident i was riding along an A road and somebody pulled out in front of me. Im luckily still alive and not broken anything but my 2001 900rr is a write off and im not sure what to do with it, i dont want to get rid of it because it was my pride and joy.
It has a hole in the crank casing, a small dent in the frame,the front and back brake levers are bent and the front right hand side fairing is smashed up. it prob is fixable with out to much hassle but is it goin to b a prob to get back on the road? the other idea is to street fighter it? please give ur oppinions. il upload some pics when i work out how to do it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Good to hear ya didn't get broken up yourself. These bikes are
always worth fixing imo. Big thing for you is .... how big is the hole in the crankcase ?
Can it be repaired or does it need replacing ..... that's where the $$ question is !

Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the opposing view
is it goin to b a prob to get back on the road? the other idea is to street fighter it? please give ur oppinions. il upload some pics when i work out how to do it.

Write it off - you'd be better off with another bike than trying to fix that one - there could be a bent frame, apart from the engine internals, forks, and other peripheral issues. Sad, for you, but don't try beating a dead horse.........
Also, once a bike has been written off it's a LOT more difficult to get clearance for it on public roads, and the logbook will always say "written off or rebuilt"
Bike will be worth half of what it would have been worth no matter what you spend on it.

Last edited by Shadow; 04-26-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CBRF, man! Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad it wasn't any worse.
I have to agree with shadow on this. I probably wouldn't fix it. One of those things where sometimes it's best to cut your losses. You have no idea what else it could cost you farther down the road.