Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dont want to wear gear? This can be you!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother is an ER doc and has seen some nasty stuff as well. All could have been avoided with proper gear.

Work boots are for work, hiking boots for hiking.

Snell/DOT approved helmet, full leather, full length boots, and gauntlet gloves for me. I have been debating whether to get a pair of lined/armored jeans or textile pants for warmer weather.

For anyone in the market for leathers, here is a sweet deal:

http://pnwriders.com/gear-parts-acce...ket-pants.html

Not sure if he'll ship, but it won't hurt to ask.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ko67

Work boots are for work, hiking boots for hiking.

Snell/DOT approved helmet, full leather, full length boots, and gauntlet gloves for me. I have been debating whether to get a pair of lined/armored jeans or textile pants for warmer weather.

Great post. I don't care how great those boots make you feel they will fall off in a bad crash and leave you with nothing on your foot but gravel and asphalt.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Don't believe I've heard of any tests of the complete gear by anyone (short of live 'testing'). Components of the gear, like armor, may meet a standard but that bout it.

Icon has a survivor's section on their website. Beyond that, it's mostly company rep.
the big companies do test, test on the stitching, zippers etc, esp for their top end stuff. And as with anything I'm sure the tech rolls down hill. Thats why I always frown on no brand brand leather you see on ebay. Not saying they all suck or arent good quality/safety, but I would trust any that werent known by racers etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I tell folks when they ask me if my leathers are hot...

"SWEAT WIPES OFF - ROAD RASH DOESN'T"

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Thats why I always frown on no brand brand leather you see on ebay. Not saying they all suck or arent good quality/safety, but I would trust any that werent known by racers etc.
True that. All you have to do is go to your local bike shop and try on a joe rocket jacket, and then try an A* jacket. Nothing against joe rocket, it's what I bought for my first jacket, but the workmanship and quality is immediately noticeable. Same thing with gloves.. boots... On top of quality, the fit is typically much better, which plays right back into safety...

The old adage applies... "you get what you pay for".

Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this thread really took off. Ive already sent emails to everyone i have gear with asking what kinda results they got and if i could see them. So lets see where this goes. haha

Good to see that this thread is a wake up call for so many.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
the big companies do test, test on the stitching, zippers etc, esp for their top end stuff. And as with anything I'm sure the tech rolls down hill. Thats why I always frown on no brand brand leather you see on ebay. Not saying they all suck or arent good quality/safety, but I would trust any that werent known by racers etc.
Yeah that's what I mean by the components. But can't say if say Dainese takes a random sample jacket out of every batch, throws it on a test dummy and gives him a slide. Or if they did it with anything beyond the prototypes.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I'll make this my first post.

This thread made me really think about gear. I do not have a bike yet, but I am planning on it sometime in the spring. Without a doubt I am planning on buying a snell/dot helmet, jacket, chest/back protector and gloves. With more and more researching I've decided that riding pants and riding boots are a must now. I like my skin lol.

Now off to the new members area woooo!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Footnfool
Well, I guess I'll make this my first post.

This thread made me really think about gear. I do not have a bike yet, but I am planning on it sometime in the spring. Without a doubt I am planning on buying a snell/dot helmet, jacket, chest/back protector and gloves. With more and more researching I've decided that riding pants and riding boots are a must now. I like my skin lol.

Now off to the new members area woooo!
Glad to hear you like your skin. I like mine to. Haha and welcome to the forums. Gear is always a must i say now. Before i would usally take a quick trip with nothing but my helmet but now i look back and man was that dumb. When i layed it down last week i was only 2 mins away from my house. Could have been alot worse if i wasnt wearing my gear.

Have fun and ride safe.

As for all others i have submitted emails to Icon, Joe rocket, and shift asking to see results for the gear they have. We'll see how that works out.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Yeah that's what I mean by the components. But can't say if say Dainese takes a random sample jacket out of every batch, throws it on a test dummy and gives him a slide. Or if they did it with anything beyond the prototypes.
I'm sure the do something, then again, they get tested out at races every weekend lol.

N yea you do get what you pay for. I can tell the difference in quality between my joe rocket n teknic jackets and my teknic n A* gloves, two completely diff levels, the JR fits alot better n has a better fit n finish to it. My next set of leathers will be A* for sure. Now my teknic stuff works great, just doesnt have the fit n finish JR or A* has.

Quick Reply: Dont want to wear gear? This can be you!