Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dont want to wear gear? This can be you!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010 | 11:55 PM

As far as jeans go, the ones I have on now only lasted three or four months before the knee went out from wear, so I don't think I'd feel safe in them at all, maybe draggin' jeans, but not anything not made for riding.

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by zoomman113
How good are denim jeans to wear? I mean, are they going to do anything, or should I get something else. I finally got a jacket. Last summer I wore steal toes, jeans, helmet, gloves, and most days a sweat shirt, but never a jacket because I couldn't afford one, but know I was able to.
think its 7 seconds that I read that jeans will last sliding across pavement. After that its skin and it last even less n hurts like hell. Then comes the scrubbing!!!!!

Old 01-15-2010 | 01:44 AM

I went down probably a year and a half ago. Anyways I was young when I started riding, on cruisers. Went through two cruisers and got my first sport bike a 954rr. Soon after I decided to buy gear for just in case. 8ish months later I went down for the first time, I was wearing cheap mesh gloves, a joe rocket jacket and a bell full helmet. Needless to say the gloves lasted for about 2.58 seconds and I was left picking mesh black fiber out of my hands for 2-3weeks. My jackets cuff broke on my right arm causing me to ride on my forearm for a little ways. I was wearing heavy jeans, which also like the gloves didn’t last and I have scars on my knees now as well. My helmet was also totaled scuffed up busted ect. I was okay but still today I have NICE scars from my road rash and I now wear FULL gear when I ride to include boots and Kevlar jeans. The human bodys capability of healing is amazing, chunks of missing meat healed back almost like its supposed to be . Full gear is a necessity for riding, still today I see people riding with shorts, wife beaters, and flip flops or tennis shoes. My jaw drops every time I see this but its mostly younger riders. To attempt to help these people understand I try to share my experiences when I can about how full gear can save your life.

Old 01-15-2010 | 02:33 AM

I'm not that squeamish, but holy moly. Oh (insert random obscenity) kept flowing out of my mouth through that whole post. Don't have a good story, would just like to say those are very strong points you've raised and fully plan on gearing up every time I ride next year. Work shoes/pants can go in the backpack. Hoolly CRRUUAOJJOFAPPPAOAPOPO!!!! On the other hand, I haven't had steak in a while.

Old 01-15-2010 | 02:41 AM

I used to ride my cruiser with just jeans, leather jacket, tennis shoes and fingerless gloves but not now. I plan on getting a full set of gear, just have to wait till taxes come back( to bad they don't make plate mail(king Arthur era). would look kind of cool, chrome gear and chrome bike

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:18 AM
|

Speaking of all this safety gear are there any actual test with all this gear?

I know there are for helmets but what about gloves, pants, jackets. I never see a test. Almost makes me want to go buy another set of gear and put it on a dummy that weights 150lbs. Then in a car get to about 70mph and drop it on the pavement to simulate a low side.

I wonder how this would hold up?

Maybe ill start calling companys asking for test and see if i can get some.

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:24 AM
|

Originally Posted by raylee
I'm not that squeamish, but holy moly. Oh (insert random obscenity) kept flowing out of my mouth through that whole post. Don't have a good story, would just like to say those are very strong points you've raised and fully plan on gearing up every time I ride next year. Work shoes/pants can go in the backpack. Hoolly CRRUUAOJJOFAPPPAOAPOPO!!!! On the other hand, I haven't had steak in a while.
Well im glad my post has atleast changed one persons mind. Im sure many others have been to. I think thats whan it hit me that i need to wear more than just jeans and shoes. I always wear a riding jacket and gloves with full face helmet but i like my legs and feet. haha

Good to hear your okay bubba. Nothing reminds you of what you should have done like scars. Like wearing a bicycle helmet when i was a kid. haha should have done that but now i always remeber. lol

Old 01-15-2010 | 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Speaking of all this safety gear are there any actual test with all this gear?

I know there are for helmets but what about gloves, pants, jackets. I never see a test. Almost makes me want to go buy another set of gear and put it on a dummy that weights 150lbs. Then in a car get to about 70mph and drop it on the pavement to simulate a low side.

I wonder how this would hold up?

Maybe ill start calling companys asking for test and see if i can get some.
Don't believe I've heard of any tests of the complete gear by anyone (short of live 'testing'). Components of the gear, like armor, may meet a standard but that bout it.

Icon has a survivor's section on their website. Beyond that, it's mostly company rep.

Old 01-15-2010 | 07:48 AM

I am a big fan of full protective clothing - I always ride fully kitted out. I walked away from both of my crashed virtually unscathed purely down to the clothing I was wearing.

I've never understood the jacket and jeans thing - do some people consider their legs to be unimportant? If a rider wishes to wear jeans, I would at least go for some re-inforced ones like Draggin or Hood.

Each to their own of course, but personally I always say if you can't afford the gear you can't afford the bike.

Old 01-15-2010 | 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
OUCH!! ...that looks bad ... !!!

Day before yesterday , me and the misses were cruising down the road not far from home here when we came up alongsidethis guy on a 1000RR at some traffic lights ... he had his woman on the back and both were wearing NO gear !
Even there helmet straps were un done and hanging loose ...
Me an my misses had full gear on boots and all , except we were wearing jeans ...
I lifted my visor and said to the guy ..." wheres is your gear? " he just shrugged and said its too hot (which it wasn't ) it was only about 22C / 75F and when the lights changed they took off and immediately started splitting traffic plus , shooting up the inside near the curb to pass ...

It was a shocker to watch ... shorts , flimsy singlets, no gloves ,runners and no socks .. helmet straps flying in the breeze... bare skin everywhere ...
We shot past them and bolted ... I was not going to be around if they came to grief ... what a mess that would have been !!

It is fairly rare to see guys wearing NO gear here ...most riders that we see in our state use full gear ..
A point that is very common though is that nearly all the peeps you see wearing NO gear have not thrown a bike down the road before ... its like they think that they are too good or some chit ??

Maybe these peeps are believers of what we call Tombstone technology?

"wait till it happens then change your attitude , look back and remember not to do it again "
....if you live through it the first time ? :-(
That, Steve, is what we call a statistic.Yikes...

Thanks for the wake up call fenatic...

Quick Reply: Dont want to wear gear? This can be you!