Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Definitive Details of the Accident

Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitive Details of the Accident

Well my initial memories of the event (crash) were pretty right on. I took the 94W exit from 794 North. I dipped hard left doing the speed limit and held the line. Problem is, and I haven't taken this route much since construction, the line runs you into the off-ramp for Milwaukee Street. So I tried to correct for the too hard of a lean and sat the bike up with a slight right lean. Couldn't bank hard right as I was still in a left radius turn and would have smacked the right side.
So, I sat it up and leaned slight right and realized I was going to head on the divider so I had to bank left HARD. I barely cleared the center divide with my right side, andthen had tosit the bike up and lean slight right to keep from hitting the left side of what is now the off-ramp. Couldn't hard right again for the same reason I couldn't hard left, I'd have ping-ponged down the ramp.
Mind you I was on the brakes during this time. I estimate my impact speed at around 35-45mph when I connected with the barrier on the left side. Bounced off and on the barrier from front to back of bike a couple times while trying to maintain control before the front tire caught the barrier and let the barrier do it's job and tossed it straight up. I think it's during this hard wobble/bouncing that I may have put my right leg down to stabilize (biggest mistake ever, NEVER put your legs out or down) and broke it. I think that is what happened. Not sure exactly at what point that would have been, rear or front popping up, but if that's what happened, that is most likely put me "out for the count", the moment I broke my leg.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Definitive Details of the Accident

+1 On putting the leg out. My buddy was riding home in the rain one time and his rear end slipped out and he put his leg down. The bike then came the rest of the way down onto his leg and shattered it.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM

You can never drill this point in enough either. I tell this to people all the time, and have caught myself doing it once before. It's a hard reaction to counter, but you definitley need to be on point on this one.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 PM

yeah i also learned that the hard way. lol. didnt break it but it sure f'in hurt for a while. hope you get back on ur feet soon brah. reminds me of a sticker this old biker dude had on his helmet, it said "if you dont got a limp, you aint a biker" good luck dude!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 PM

lol, thanks man. I should be riding again in about 4 weeks.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Sorry to hear about that...hope all is well soon..

Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad youre ok mane yea leg out is not a good idea

Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the leg out is a hard one to shake. When your in a situation like yours...its human nature. Glad your doing well.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 AM

Sorry my fellow Milwaukee rider...i just was over there the other day...Youll be back soon though hit me up if you wanna ride when your better

ride safe mang

Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Just got back from the orthopedic Dr. I am scheduled to have surgery this coming Thursday. Kinda relieved about that as I believe I will heal faster and stronger with this rather then waiting and hoping it heals on it's own; which chances are with location it wouldn't.
At any rate, it saves the month wait and see plus re-break and surgery and then another month of wait.
So, a month from this Thursday, I will be riding again. Got my new stator cover coming in around Tuesday. It's polished, comes with all the hardware and gasket AND was cheaper then brand new OE.