How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

The Definitive Guide to Installing Vortex Frame Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Definitive Guide to Installing Vortex Frame Sliders

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the best way to install frame slider where the fairing requires modification. After collecting information from all available resources I came up with what seemed the most logical method. Here are some tools beyond the standard that you'll need:

1. A laser pointer of any type with a stable stand.
2. Locktite
3. A hole cutting bit - 1 3/4 in diameter
4. A stand for the bike is also highly recommended

Step 1: Prepare the Bike

Since drilling of the fairing is required it's of the utmost importance that all measurements be accurate. If anything is to move you'll need to remeasure. Put the bike up on the stand and arrange it so the rear wheel is against a wall. This will help prevent the bike from rolling during setup. Remove the fairing from both sides by following the manufacturer's procedures.

Step 2: Arranging the Laser

Next remove the engine bolt that will be replaced with the frame slider. Screw the frame slider bolt into this hole, but not all the way. Arrange the laser on the stand so that it is exactly level to the engine bolt. I used a black and decker laser level that had a magnetic base. With the magnet I was able to attach the laser to a utility light. An tripod would have been easier, but I didn't have one. It doesn't matter as long as the laser is stable and doesn't move. Be sure to measure the distance from the engine bolt to the wall. Also measure the distance from the laser to the wall. These numbers should be identical to insure that the guide hole is drilled straight. Point the laser directly at the center of the new engine bolt.

Step 3: Drilling the guide Holes

Once the laser has been arranged you CANNOT MOVE THE BIKE, so be careful. Replace one side of the fairing. It isn't necessary to replace all the screws, just one or two. Make sure that the fairing is placed in the EXACT correct position. Once the fairing is in place the laser will now be shining on the exact location where the guide hole should be drilled. Use a smaller drill bit and drill the guide hole. Be careful not to run the drill in too far. Just mark the fairing. Repeat on the opposite side.

Step 4: Drilling the Large Holes

The Vortex frame slider is just under 1 3/4 inches in diameter. A 1 3/4 in hole cutting bit should be perfect to fit the frame slider with a little space all the way around. Remove a 1 3/4" circle of foam from around the guide hole on the back side of the fairing. Also tape around the outside of the guide hole to help keep the cuts clean. Using the hole cutting bit, drill out the 1 3/4 in diameter hole from the fairing. Use a dremmel to clean up the inside of the hole.

Step 5: Mounting the Spindles and Pucks to the Frame

Note that the two provided spindles aren't the same size. The smaller spindle and shorter bolt go on the left side of the bike. Put some Locktite on the engine bolts, insert them through the spindles, and tighten them down. Do not over tighten these bolts beyond the recommended amount. A torque wrench should be used. Put some locktite on the puck screws and tighten each into its respective spindle.

Step 6: Replace the Fairing

Lastly, replace the fairings on both sides of the bike. If the pucks don't sit directly in the middle of the fairing you can either leave it or remove the fairing and adjust the size

Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Default RE: The Definitive Guide to Installing Vortex Frame Sliders

Perfect write up. I'm just waiting for my rear stand to put mine on. I was going to do a write up like yours, but you did such a good job I'll just snap a few pics. Good job it turned out really good.

-Jesse-

Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 AM

nice job. a little complex but it works none the less.
i acutally used some general purpose grease and put it on the end of the engine mouting bolt. put the fairing back on and drilled the pilot hole through the back with the fairings off the bike....
good stuff

Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. It prompted me to just put an order in to IndySuperbikes. My Vortex frame sliders should be here in a few days and I should get around to installing them just in time for my wife to drop the bike over on it's side this spring. This should complete my modification plans to the 600RR. Well maybe rear sets some day but that depends on if Melissa wants them. Oh yea, I don't own a laser level yet so it is also a great excuse to buy a cool tool.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:43 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share with us! They look great!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 AM

Great Idea. Nice job....

Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM

Not my idea, I won't take credit for that. I think DonCollins was the first I heard to suggest the laser method.

I'm glad I can provide reasons to go buy new tools.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM

I will have to buy new fairings so I can get a laser lever and a tripod shop light.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Nice wrtie up, but for those of you who dont want to use a laser and not move the bike the whol time, check this out...

------www.rc51.org/slider.htm-----

Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Yeah I have seen that one but that is not near as cool as the laser one. Come On its a Freaken Laser..... I wonder if it cost 1 millllllion dollars?

Quick Reply: The Definitive Guide to Installing Vortex Frame Sliders