Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

"Crotch Rocket" - Endearing Term or Ridiculous Name?..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Crotch Rocket" - Endearing Term or Ridiculous Name?..

ORIGINAL: gtwags

I ride a crotch rocket AND a couch rocket (Gold Wing). You snobs would miss some great conversation if you shut down just because I use a term you believe may be demeaning. I happen to be a great story teller and all around wealth of information. (crotch rocket, crotch rocket...)
That's cute how you get all tough like that.

He said SNOBS, boy have we been told or what????

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont like the "organ donor" term given to us by paramedics and such....

crotch rocket...i like it never had a problem with it...its a rocket...and you ride it with your crotch lol

Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM

I don't mind the term crotch rocket. My pop has been riding for 40 years, and he just calls it that because he's always ridden Harleys. He loves my 954 and holds no animosity or misunderstanding about it. Something that I think is really great is that sometimes after we ride for an hour or two together, he asks to get on my bike. So I let him on it and chill, and he returns about 10 minutes later with his hair all crazy and a huge smile on his face. He just says, "Ok, I'm good" and hands it over.

When someone I'm not familiar with asks about my bike and refers to it as a rocket, I don't shut down. It does bring up a flag though. I listen especially close to what they say about sport bikes and riding in particular after that. Some of course are the idiots with no experience who think they know to tell you that you're gonna DIIIIEEEEE. Others just use the term because they like it.

Either way I don't take offense, I was the same type of person a year ago who had no clue about bikes. (however, I sure as hell didn't tell people what to do with their lives either)

Edit: Oh and you know what? F these people who talk all this "donorcycle" crap when they find out you ride. I'd rather be on a bike than in a tiny honda or mini cooper when something goes wrong in traffic. As a responsible rider I pay attention, knowing what is behind, to the sides and in front of me. If something happens like an individual coming in your lane or whatever, I would much rather have the incredible acceleration at the flick of a wrist, the magnificent agility of a cbr and the slim body than a car just about any day.

Maybe my dander is just up, though.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM

A good way to answer people when they ask what kind if you don't want the person scratching their head.. you could just tell them that you ride a honda. If they know more about motorcycles.. they'll ask more. Fun thread xD Kinda reminds me of the "stupid questions people ask you" thread that is around here somewhere.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mike4831

From my experiences anyone that refers to a sport bike as a crotch rocket has never ridden a bike before.

Not true.. One of the other Engineers here at work, Jerry,is 64 years old and he calls them crotch rockets. At 64, he rides a 2007 ZX10R and has been riding longer than most of us have been alive. And I think that using crotch rocket is fine..

Hey man what do you ride?
-A 2007 CBR600RR.

What's that?
-A crotch rocket

Oh ok, now I know what it is.

It's perfectly fine to use the term

Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I can agree with that DJ, its not my favorite term, but its what people know. Might as well not get bent about it.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in the UK, the term "plastic missile" got bandied around for quite a while I seem to recall ...

Jules

Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Crotch rocket doesnt really annoy me, but when people basically say its stupid to ride a bike b/c they are so dangerous really annoys me.

It doesnt make someone a squid to call it a crotch rocket, a squid is someone that rides recklessly and doesnt wear any gear in my book.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM

I've seen plenty of squids in full gear.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: TheX

I've seen plenty of squids in full gear.
Yep. Gear means nothing if your riding like a jackass.

I like to just call it a rocket to the average person. Most non-sportbike riders wouldnt know a CBR from a ZX or a GSXR anyway. If they ask the exact make and model, I let them know.

Quick Reply: "Crotch Rocket" - Endearing Term or Ridiculous Name?..