Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cop Radar.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your local statutes, but in NJ the cop has to re-calibrate his radar with another cop as well as make sure that his speedo is accurate after pulling someone over. There's some kind of paperwork associated with it, but you can fight the ticket on these grounds and if the cop was by himself there's a good chance he passed up this step. If it's a bad enough ticket, I'd say it's worth calling up a lawyer and fighting it. If it was just a few mph over the limit and you're looking at 2 points or under, not really.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmds18
already said that
I missed that the first time. All I saw was a lot of "blah blah blah blah".

Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM

yea but i didn't want to make it anymore worse then it was.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM

also, a police officer is trained on estimating how fast a vehicle is going, the radar provides as a double check so to speak. the two major types of radars you see the Doppler radar and the lazer radar. Doppler for the most part is for moving, and lazer is for stationary even though doppler can be used for that too.lazer is also most accurate. Most of the time the officer will knock off a couple of mph to be fair and lenient. also some doppler radars can be used with monitors that specify which car in the group it is clocking with a indicator. zmds18 had a perfect description of the doppler radar and its advantages and disadvantages. this is a little vague but I'm tired(sorry guys) lazer isn't a technical name but hey I'm tired. Also sometimes the courts will lower cost of tickets ie first time violation, good driving record ect. dont be afraid to ask for a lower fine if you seriously cant pay.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

ive gotten a ticket before and the cop stated that he "paced me". i WAS speeding and he didnt even have to turn the gun on.No argument period, i WAS wrong...that was when i quit using radar detectors because it wont help you if the cop turns on the radar rite as you pass, or rides up behind you "pacing your speed" it wood be too late...

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by bambam
ive gotten a ticket before and the cop stated that he "paced me". i WAS speeding and he didnt even have to turn the gun on.No argument period, i WAS wrong...that was when i quit using radar detectors because it wont help you if the cop turns on the radar rite as you pass, or rides up behind you "pacing your speed" it wood be too late...
please law officers (esp. bubba cuz i like ya) on here dont take offense to this but... when i get "PACED" it pisses me off bc typically i get a cop riding my bumper like he has to be less than 5 feet away from me... its like he is encouraging me to go faster.... i also dont like this because if something ran out in front of me and i hit my breaks thats just a big mess in court waiting to happen...

i also dont like how ofter i see law officials around here break the laws for their own "fun" without their lights on...

they go flying down main streets

and run rear fast right up onto my bumper (i dont have any priors on my record except one speeding ticket like 2 years ago)

I cant even count on one hand how many times ive seen them use a turn signal...

I know of officers partying on duty (drinking included) and with under age individuals there

ive been pulled over for having a license plate light out on city limits... only to check and not have it out at all..

I realize all officials are not like that my uncle is a retired state trooper himself its just sad to see how many of them do bend the rules for their own gain

Old 05-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Not going to argue with you there. It shows that people to include LEO are people SOME of which do, partake in bending the rules or altogether breaking the law. However there are ALOT of good cops out there as well as correctional officers, probation officers and the rest of LEO personal. Sadly like sportbike riders a select few give the hole group a bad name.... win some you lose some.