Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Chrysler Sebring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 10:23 AM
Default RE: Chrysler Sebring Problem

a lot of newer dodges are designed where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack with a horseshoe-like end and a bushing, its a pretty horrible design and almost all of them go bad, i don't remember if the newer chryslers are that way too but i would not be surprised. i'm not sure if that would cause enough play for it to "not turn the way you want it." and as for the "wont make sharp turns" bit those cars have an absolutely horrible turning radius so that doesnt surprise me.

just take it to a shop that does free front end checks and see what they find.

Old 11-12-2007 | 10:46 AM

The general public has heard enoughto be affraid of Chysler's trannies
This kills me... - From my researchthe only problems Mopar electronic transmissions haveare when ignorant people (or shops) fill them with GM Dextron or Ford Mercon fluid. - Chryslers NEED ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid (depending on the year). - Fluid that is designed to SLIP. - When you hear a Mopar come to a stop, and you hear all that buzzing going on under the hood, it is the solenoids that control the feel of the tranny doing their job. - Chryslers use this modulation to gradually apply/release. - GM and Ford (And pretty much ALL other manufacturers) have their clutches "Grab" and the feel is regulated by the converter.

If you put GM fluid in a Chrysler Trans it causes the transmission to grab, the computer thinks it applied the clutch too fast, and releases a bit - then reapply's and so on. - It makes every shift work like 10 instead of 1 and will cause it to fail prematurely.

Again - I've clocked 163K on mine - hard driving and some towing and have had NO tranny problems as of yet.

I do have to agree that the "Lifetime" warranty is purelya sales gimmick - No better/worse than GM's "Employee Pricing" or Ford's simple discounting the hell out of their cars. - What's the difference? - Chrysler drops list 1200 and adds an 1800 warranty that covers ONLY the 1st owner, GM drops their price 3000, and Ford drops their price 5000? - Chrysler no doubt spent a lot of time evaluating how people buy their cars and hold them before adding that warranty - they know that most of their "New" car buyers trade within 3-5 years at 50-80K miles - so they know exactly how much that warranty offer will cost them. - They also knew which models people may buy and hold on to indefinitely as "collectors" items and made sure to exclude them (SRT's) and vehicles people buy and run to death before trading (Diesels).

(Sorry this is on the wrong forum, but if there's any Mopar drivers out there it may save you some wear/tear=-)

Old 11-12-2007 | 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mycvil

The general public has heard enoughto be affraid of Chysler's trannies
This kills me... - From my researchthe only problems Mopar electronic transmissions haveare when ignorant people (or shops) fill them with GM Dextron or Ford Mercon fluid. - Chryslers NEED ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid (depending on the year). - Fluid that is designed to SLIP. - When you hear a Mopar come to a stop, and you hear all that buzzing going on under the hood, it is the solenoids that control the feel of the tranny doing their job. - Chryslers use this modulation to gradually apply/release. - GM and Ford (And pretty much ALL other manufacturers) have their clutches "Grab" and the feel is regulated by the converter.
are you forgeting about chrysler diff pins? what about seals getting hard in all their transmissions after 100k. the 46/47re valve bodys also suck. chrysler didnt even begin to catch up in transmission reliability until the advent of the 45rfe. take it from a former dodge trans tech they are junk i made a lot of money on dodge transmissions and somtimes still do.

Old 11-12-2007 | 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: mycvil
I honestly know little about Chrysler cars, but about half the Dodge truck owners I know or have talked to have had their tranny die waaay before it should, and it seems that once it gets replaced, the next tranny dies soon also. A few have put around 150k on their trucks with no major problems, but I talk to a lot more GM and Ford guys who have done that than Dodge.

Old 11-12-2007 | 01:44 PM

[/quote]

original: kevinpii

take it from a former dodge trans tech they are junk i made a lot of money on dodge transmissions and somtimes still do.
[/quote]

OMG! So you were a Dodge dealership technician and you saw some broken Dodges? No way! Get Ripley's Believe it or Not on the phone right now!

And give me a break guys.Of course the lifetime warranty is a sales technique, they don't make cars for charity. And of course its only good for the first owner! What do you want? They're the only company offering it and you're criticizing them for not extending the warranty for all owners for eternity? WTF?
Theres not one company that offers a warranty past the second owner so unless your planning on buying a used 07-08 vehicle soon it doesn't make any difference to you.

CHRYSLER IS NOT GOING BANKRUPT! Dodges have been selling well and Jeep is selling more Wranglers than ever before because they rock.

Old 11-12-2007 | 03:50 PM

I don't think anyone is criticizing them for the lifetime waranty. I actually commend them, because that forces them to make sure they are not producing crap, or loose their @$$ in warranty work. It's just like Hyundai or Kia (I can't remember which) who first startedofferered the 100,000 mile warranty. Back then the cars were crap. They've actually brought reliability up quitea bit since then, and I think they probably have surpassed American quality, or at least are on par.

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rubicon on 38s
original: kevinpii

take it from a former dodge trans tech they are junk i made a lot of money on dodge transmissions and somtimes still do.
[/quote]

OMG! So you were a Dodge dealership technician and you saw some broken Dodges? No way! Get Ripley's Believe it or Not on the phone right now!

[/quote]
yea i did see a lot of dodge transmission problems what i didnt mention is we were a multiline dealer we also sell chevrolet the ratio for dodge to chevy trans problems is about 4-1 4dodges to every 1 chevy. i think it is good to have the lifetime warrenty they need it.